The Harlem Hospital Fellowship in Infectious Diseases offers a rich and comprehensive training program. This is a two year program, fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The Infectious Diseases core curriculum is designed to prepare the specialist for American Board of Infectious Diseases Certification and independent clinical and/or academic careers. The Division of Infectious Diseases collaborates closely with the Department of Pathology/ Microbiology Laboratory, the Department of Pharmacy/Antibiotic Control Program, and the Hospital Infection Control Program. The Division also collaborates with the Department of Medicine and other departments at the institution.
The goals of Infectious Disease Post-Graduate Training at Harlem Hospital Center are the following:
- Develop competent Infectious Disease sub-specialist capable of practicing independently and providing high quality care in the discipline with attention to achieving the highest ethical standards.
- Establish competency in the assessment and management of patients with suspected and confirmed infectious diseases.
- Enable trainees to provide effective and efficient continuity care for outpatients with infectious diseases.
- Gain skills in the design and conduct of clinical research.
- Gain skills in the review and assessment of the medical literature.
- Appropriately document in a coherent manner the clinical consultations and to establish teaching skills in the discipline.