Safety Tips: Don't Let Winter Get You Down
Prevent injuries, illnesses, and/or damaged property by taking the proper safety precautions. Read our tips and share our winter safety infographic with your colleagues, friends, and family.
Avoid Slips, Trips, and Falls
- Wear slip-resistant, comfortable footwear.
- Tread carefully while walking, especially on sloped surfaces or stairs. Take slow, small steps, and avoid carrying heavy loads that may offset your balance.
- Be extra careful when entering and exiting vehicles.
- Watch out for slippery surfaces inside buildings.
- Limit your time outdoors in cold, wet, or windy weather, and layer in loose, warm clothing. Change out of wet clothing as soon as possible.
- Know the symptoms of frostbite: burning, numbness, tingling, and itching in the affected areas.
- Seek medical attention if you think you have frostbite. During normal working hours, employees should visit Workforce Health & Safety in Harkness Pavilion, first floor. Students should visit Student Health Service. During off-hours, go to the NYP Emergency Department.
Protect Your Space
- Before you leave each day, close and lock all windows and doors, and close blinds and curtains. Be sure to close all windows in spaces that are not normally occupied. Open windows in “forgotten” spaces waste energy and can lead to damage to your work area if water pipes freeze and crack.
- Turn off computers, lights, and other equipment. Additionally, move electrical or valuable items off the floor and away from windows.
- Avoid fire hazards by keeping approved portable space heaters away from flammable materials. Never leave a space heater on or unattended.
- If your lab or experiments depend on electricity, make sure critical equipment is plugged into outlets that are backed up by emergency power. If you are not sure which outlets are on emergency power, contact Facilities Management at 212-305-HELP (4357), option 3.
Report Issues to CUMC Facilities Management
- Report problems, such as leaks or windows or doors that cannot be closed, as well as any icy patches or unsafe sidewalks, to Facilities Management at 212-305-HELP (4357), option 3.
- Report on-campus emergencies to Public Safety at 212-305-7979; for off-campus emergencies, call 911.