Winter Safety Tips
By taking the proper safety precautions during the cold winter months, we can all work together to help prevent injuries, illnesses and/or damaged property associated with the hazards of winter.
Getting through the winter season without suffering a slip, trip, or fall is easy with the right preparation:
- Make sure all walkways are cleared of ice and snow. Report any icy patches to Facilities Management immediately at 305-HELP (4357), option 3.
- Be careful of slippery surfaces inside buildings.
- Wear slip resistant, comfortable footwear.
- Tread carefully while walking, especially on sloped surfaces or stairs. Take slow, small steps, and avoid carrying heavy loads that may offset your balance.
- Take extra precaution when entering and exiting vehicles.
- Know the symptoms of frostbite, you can take the proper first aid steps to address it; symptoms of frostbite include burning, numbness, tingling, and itching in the affected areas.
- Seek medical attention (Workforce Health & Safety in Harkness 1 during normal working hours, or the NYP Emergency Department off hours) if you think you have frostbite. An evaluation by a medical professional is needed to determine if there is any tissue damage, and what treatment is necessary.
Download the Winter Workplace Safety Flyer for more helpful tips
Below are a few simple things you can do to help in your room or office to help prevent the loss or damage of your property throughout the winter:
- Close and lock all windows and doors, and close blinds and curtains before you leave each day. Be sure to close all windows in spaces that are not normally occupied. It is in these “forgotten” rooms that an open window can potentially lead to damage to your work area due to water pipes freezing and cracking and also wastes energy.
- Turn off computers, lights, and other equipment. Additionally, electrical or valuable items should be moved off the floor and away from windows.
- If your lab or experiments depend on electricity, make sure critical equipment is plugged into outlets that are backed up by emergency power. If you are not sure which outlets are on emergency power, please contact Facilities Management at 305-HELP (305-4357), option 3.
- Report problems, such as leaks or windows or doors that cannot be closed, to Facilities Management at 305-HELP (305-4357), option 3.
- Report on-campus emergencies to Public Safety at 212-305-7979; for off-campus emergencies, call 911.
Download the Winterizing Your Home Flyer for helpful tips for protecting your home.