Temporary Electric Shutdown in Hammer, Feb. 21-22
In an effort to improve the medical center's utilities infrastructure, there will be a temporary electric shutdown in Hammer Health Sciences Center Saturday, February 21 through Sunday, February 22, from 10 p.m. until 8 a.m.
The following services will be unavailable throughout the entire building during the temporary shutdown:
- Overhead lighting
- Normal laboratory power—including laboratory lighting and non-emergency power outlets
- Hallway, elevator, and stairwell lighting
- Supplemental air conditioning systems serving equipment rooms
- Vacuum systems
- Compressed air systems
- Temperature-controlled environmental rooms (cold rooms and warm rooms)
- Chemical fume-hood ventilation system
Emergency power and emergency lighting throughout the entire building will not be affected by this temporary shutdown. Prior to the temporary shutdown, portable cooling units will be delivered to critical areas beginning Thursday, February 19.
In preparation for this upcoming shutdown, please take the following precautionary steps before you leave on Friday, February 20:
- Save all files and important documents.
- Completely turn off all computers and laptops.
- Turn off all other electronic devices and non-essential laboratory equipment.
- Ensure that all essential equipment is connected to emergency power (red) outlets.
- Tightly close cold rooms and ensure that they remain closed.
- Tightly seal all containers in fume hoods or remove and safely store them elsewhere in the lab.
- Shut off all gas valves servicing the fume hoods.
Do not use fume hoods until they have been recertified on Monday morning. Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) will be on site Monday beginning at 8 a.m. to recertify hoods. Should any fume-hood abnormalities arise following the shutdown, please contact Facilities at 305-HELP (4357), Option 3.
Please note: Laboratories are strongly encouraged to suspend all work involving hazardous materials for the duration of the shutdown.
In case any issues arise, representatives from CUMC Facilities will be on duty during the shutdown. CUMC Public Safety is also available to assist with any building or other issues. For routine matters, call 305-8100; for on-campus emergencies, call 305-7979.