Temporary Electric Shutdown in Hammer, Apr. 3-4
As part of an effort to improve the medical center’s utilities infrastructure, a temporary electric shutdown will take place in Hammer Health Sciences Center from 8 p.m. Friday, April 3, to 8 a.m. Saturday, April 4.
The following services will be unavailable throughout the building during the temporary shutdown:
- Overhead lighting
- Normal laboratory power—including laboratory lighting and non-emergency power outlets
- Hallway lighting, elevator lighting, and stairwell lighting
- Vacuum systems
- Compressed air systems
- Chemical fume-hood ventilation system
Emergency power and emergency lighting throughout the entire building will not be affected by this temporary shutdown.
In preparation for the upcoming shutdown, Hammer building occupants are asked to take the following precautionary steps before leaving on Friday, April 3:
- Save all files and important documents.
- Completely turn off all computers and laptops.
- Turn off all other electronic devices and non-essential laboratory equipment.
- Ensure that all essential equipment is connected to emergency power (red) outlets.
- Tightly seal all containers in fume hoods or remove and safely store them elsewhere in the lab.
- Shut off all gas valves servicing the fume hoods.
- Do not use fume hoods until the shutdown is complete.
Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) will be on-site on Monday, April 6, beginning at 8 a.m. to recertify hoods. Should any fume-hood abnormalities arise following the shutdown, please contact CUMC Facilities Management at 305-HELP (4357), Option 3.
Please note: Laboratories are strongly encouraged to suspend all work involving hazardous materials for the duration of the shutdown; work requiring chemical fume-hood containment may resume upon recertification on Monday morning.