Transfer Application Process
If you meet the following criteria, you can apply to transfer to another room or apartment in Columbia University Medical Center on-campus housing:
- You currently live in Bard Hall or Georgian Residence
Or: You have lived in your current room or apartment in the Towers or 154 Haven Ave. for at least one year
- You do not owe rent
- You are a full-time student
Available housing may include furnished rooms in Bard Hall; Georgian Residence; Towers 1, 2, and 3; and 154 Haven Ave., and unfurnished and furnished studios in Tower 3. Availability depends on a variety of factors.
The transfer process begins the first Monday in October and runs through November 30. You must apply in-person at the Office of Housing Services, open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the first floor of Bard Hall. Applications are only available in the office and must be filled out there. All applications are numbered and are given to students in the order they arrive.
If you are a resident in the Towers or 154 Haven Ave. and are transferring within these locations, you will be asked to sign a new lease. Bring two checks to the lease-signing to cover your first month’s rent and security deposit. Previous security deposits cannot be rolled over to new housing.
Timeline for Housing Transfer
- First Monday in October-November 30: Paper applications are available at the Office of Housing Services. Apply in-person.
- Mid-October-November 30: Applicants are taken to see the available rooms. If you accept, we’ll cancel your current contract and schedule a lease-signing appointment, if applicable.
- Mid-October-November 30: Move into transfer housing.