Transfer Application Process
If you meet the following criteria, you can apply to transfer to another room or apartment in Columbia University Irving Medical Center on-campus housing:
- You currently live in Bard Hall or Georgian Residence
Or: You have lived in your current room or apartment in the Towers or 154 Haven Ave. for at least one year
- You do not owe rent
- You are a full-time student
Fall 2018 Update to Transfer Process
Applications must now be submitted online, beginning October 1 through November 30. Be sure to include your on-campus housing address. Paper applications will no longer be available.
Available housing may include furnished rooms in Bard Hall; Georgian Residence; Towers 1, 2, and 3; and 154 Haven Ave., and unfurnished and furnished studios in Tower 3. Availability depends on a variety of factors.
Apply online for transfer housing between October 1 and November 30 using your on-campus address. We will consider applications in the order we receive them. If you apply outside the assigned application window, we will not be able to consider your application.
If you are a resident in Towers 1, 2, or 3 and are transferring within these locations, you will be asked to sign a new lease. Bring two checks to the lease-signing to cover your first month’s rent and security deposit. Previous security deposits cannot be rolled over to new housing.
Timeline for Housing Transfer
- October 1–November 30: Apply online.
- Mid-October–November 30: Applicants are taken to see the available rooms. If you accept, we’ll cancel your current contract and schedule a lease-signing appointment, if applicable.
- Mid-October–November 30: Move into transfer housing.