Couples Housing Lottery
You can apply for couples housing at Columbia University Irving Medical Center if you are married or in a domestic partnership and currently enrolled as a full-time student in one of the following:
- Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Science
- Columbia University School of Nursing
- Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- Programs in Human Nutrition, Physical Therapy, or Occupational Therapy
The couples housing lottery is open to students who are currently residing on-campus or off-campus. One-bedroom apartments in the Towers, 154 Haven Ave., and Georgian Residence are available based on availability. Couples housing must be occupied by both the student and your spouse or domestic partner.
Couples housing is available to married couples and couples in domestic partnerships. Domestic partners are defined as two individuals living together in a long-term relationship of indefinite duration, have an exclusive commitment to each other’s welfare, and share financial obligations.
Confirming Couple Status
You are required to submit documentation in order to qualify as a married couple or domestic partners. Falsely certifying status may result in disciplinary action.
If you are married, a copy of your marriage certificate can qualify you for couples housing. A New York City Affidavit of Domestic Partnership is also acceptable. If your state offers a domestic partnership affidavit, we can accept that in place of a New York City one.
If you aren't married and want to apply for couples housing, you'll need to submit the Columbia University Designation of Partner form (.pdf). Once you have been offered couples housing and accept, please have this form notarized and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with one of the following forms of proof:
- A joint mortgage or lease
- A designation of domestic partner as primary beneficiary for life insurance or retirement benefits
- A designation of domestic partner as primary beneficiary in your will
- Assignment of durable property or health care power of attorney to domestic partner
- Document showing ownership of a joint bank account or joint credit card account.
Timeline and Lottery Process
- February 1: Applications open
- March 31: Application deadline
- April 4-6: A randomly ordered listing of applications is emailed to all applicants. Assignments are then made by matching your preference with available units.
- May–June: Notification of apartment offer sent via email
- July–August: Assignments and move-in. You must fill out the Access ID Request form (.pdf) and submit it on the day you sign your lease.
If there are more applicants than housing units, remaining applications will be waitlisted. Applications received after the March 31 deadline will be added to the end of the list and will most likely be waitlisted. Applications remain active until August 1.