Winter Workplace Safety
During the cold winter months, slips, trips, and falls represent a majority of incidents occurring both inside and outside of buildings. By taking the proper safety precautions, we can all work together to avoid injuries and illnesses associated with the hazards of winter.
Winter Safety Precautions:
- Make sure all walkways are cleared of ice and snow. Report any icy patches to Facilities Management immediately by calling 305-HELP (4357), and selecting 'option 3.'
- Be careful of slippery surfaces inside buildings.
- Wear slip resistant, comfortable footwear.
- Tread carefully while walking, especially on sloped surfaces or stairs. Take slow, small steps.
- Avoid carrying heavy loads that may offset your balance.
- If you work outdoors, wear all the personal protective equipment assigned to you for protection from the elements, which may include warm outerwear, hat, gloves, and waterproof boots.
- Take extra precaution when entering and exiting vehicles.
- Allow plenty of time when crossing streets and make sure that approaching vehicles have come to a complete stop before crossing.
- Know the symptoms of frostbite, you can take the proper first aid steps to address it; symptoms of frostbite include burning, numbness, tingling, and itching in the affected areas.
- Seek medical attention (Workforce Health & Safety in Harkness 1 during normal working hours, or the NYP Emergency Department off hours) if you think you have frostbite. An evaluation by a medical professional is needed to determine if there is any tissue damage, and what treatment is necessary.
Getting through the winter season without suffering a slip, trip, or fall is not a difficult feat with the right preparation and presence of mind. Just remember that safety should always be the top priority in every season, all the time.
Download the Winter Workplace Safety Flyer