CUMC Holiday Season 2014 Fire Safety Guide
As you prepare for this year's holiday season, take a few moments to review the following safety precautions to ensure a happy and safe holiday season for you, your family, your co-workers, and your neighbors:
- University policy prohibits live holiday decorations—including live Christmas trees—in all University buildings.
- Candles, oil lamps, incense, and other flame-producing items are strictly prohibited at the medical center.
- When using artificial trees, follow the manufacturer's warnings regarding the use of electric lights. Lights on metal trees are not allowed.
- Use ladders—not chairs, stepstools, or boxes—when installing decorations in high locations.
- Securing decorations to fire sprinklers, smoke detectors, or other fire equipment is prohibited, as they could hamper their operation.
- The use of extension cords is discouraged. If an extension cord is used, it must bear the UL-approved label and be of adequate wire gauge for the intended use. No frayed or broken cords may be used. Extension cords must be unplugged at night.
- Electrical cords should not be run beneath rugs or across work surfaces. Make certain that cords are located so they do not become a tripping hazard.
- Unplug decorative lights before leaving work and when the area is unoccupied. Use only low-temperature mini-lights that bear the UL-approved label.
- Do not place artificial trees or other decorations in exit corridors, and never block emergency egress from any room.
- As always, use caution and do not to block any fire equipment.
- Please remove decorations before leaving campus for the holidays.
If a fire should occur: Remember R.A.C.E.!
- Rescue/alert everyone in area of fire.
- Activate the building’s fire alarm. Call Public Safety (212-305-7979)
- Close doors as you leave.
- Evacuate the area or floor of fire origin.
For additional holiday safety tips, visit the FDNY website and click "Winter & Holiday Fire Safety."