Alumni Auditorium Renovation
Reimagining a Central Campus Space
The Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons Building and the William Black Building have shed their fortress-like exterior facades, congested entry conditions, outdated lobbies and connecting public spaces, and suboptimal interior spaces behind the lobbies. By erecting a welcoming glass façade and reconfiguring the interior spaces, we created an open, collaborative, and supportive physical environment for staff, students, and visitors to gather, share ideas, and innovate.
Project Location: 630-650 W. 168th St., New York, NY 10032
Client: CUIMC Central Administration
Project Program: New building façade and lobby aim to provide a modern, welcoming appearance to one of the most prominent areas of the CUIMC campus.
- Auditorium Façade and Lobby: 3,000 square feet
- Auditorium: 6,464 square feet
Special Features and Highlights
- New glass façade
- New lobby, lighting, and interior finishes
- New HVAC infrastructure
- New ADA lift from lobby to auditorium
- New auditorium seating with table arms
- New auditorium audiovisual system
Architect: MdeAS Architects
Construction Manager: Shawmut Design and Construction
MEP Engineer: WSP Group
Structural Engineer: Leslie E. Robertson Associates, RLLP
LEED Consultant: Vidaris, Inc.
Completed: September 2018
- 2018 Interior Design Best of Year Awards Honoree, Education: Higher Learning Category
- 2019 NYCxDESIGN Award Winner, Higher Education
- "Shawmut Design and Construction reimages 6,464 s/f Alumni Auditorium at Columbia University Irving Medical Center"
New York Real Estate Journal, 1/22/19
- “12 Cool College Campus Design Projects”
Interior Design, 3/26/19
Please contact Lysander Chan, project manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.