Couples housing is available at Columbia University Irving Medical Center to married couples and couples in domestic partnerships. We have one-bedroom apartments in the Towers, 154 Haven Ave., and Georgian Residence, depending on availability.

You can apply for couples housing if you are married or in a domestic partnership and will be enrolled as a full-time student in one of the following:

  • Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
  • Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
  • Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Science
  • Columbia University School of Nursing
  • Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
  • Programs in Human Nutrition, Physical Therapy, or Occupational Therapy

Domestic partners are defined as two individuals who live together in a long-term relationship of indefinite duration, have an exclusive commitment to each other’s welfare, and share financial obligations.

Newly admitted students can apply for couples housing during their respective application period as an incoming student. Current matriculated CUIMC students can apply via our couples housing lottery.

How to Verify Couples Status

After you have received an offer of housing, you must supply verification of your couples status as follows:

Married Couples

If you are married, a copy of your marriage certificate must be submitted. 

A New York City Affidavit of Domestic Partnership is also acceptable. If your state offers a domestic partnership affidavit, we can accept that in place of a New York City one.


If you are not married and cannot provide a domestic partnership affidavit, you'll need to submit the notarized Columbia University Designation of Partner form (.pdf) along with one of the following forms of proof:

  • A joint mortgage or lease
  • A designation of domestic partner as primary beneficiary for life insurance or retirement benefits
  • A designation of domestic partner as primary beneficiary in your will
  • Assignment of durable property or health care power of attorney to domestic partner
  • Document showing ownership of a joint bank account or joint credit card account.

The documentation should be emailed to once you have accepted your couples housing offer. Please note, falsely certifying status may result in disciplinary action.

Access ID for Your Partner

After you have received housing, you must fill out the Couples Housing Access ID Request form (.pdf) and submit it on the day you sign your lease.

Sample Couples Apartments