For Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Scientists
Columbia University Irving Medical Center offers housing on both our campus and at Columbia's Morningside location to full-time postdoctoral research fellows and full-time postdoctoral research scientists through a monthly lottery.
Housing Lottery Eligibility Guidelines
- Only full-time postdoctoral research fellows and full-time postdoctoral research scientists are eligible. Postdoctoral clinical fellows are ineligible for Columbia University housing.
- Postdocs are limited to Columbia University housing for a period of either five years or the duration of their postdoctoral appointment, whichever is shorter. This includes the amount of time that you may have been employed as a postdoctoral research fellow or postdoctoral research scientist in any Columbia University division.
- If you have a change in position within the five-year housing limit and your non-postdoctoral title is still eligible for University housing, you will be allowed to remain in University housing for either one year or the original maximum of five years, whichever is shorter.
- Postdocs who become ineligible for housing due to a change from a full-time to a part-time appointment or to an ineligible title will not have their lease renewed. Instead, you will have a three-month grace period to either find alternate off-campus housing or return to work full-time with an eligible title. During this three-month period, you will continue to pay rent at the same rate.
Contact Housing Leasing Manager Noemi Bueno at email@example.com or 212-304-7008 for more information.
How the Housing Lottery Works
The lottery is held on the 15th of each month. Current postdocs and new postdocs with a start date no more than six weeks after the lottery can participate. Studio apartments will be offered to postdocs with single status and one-bedroom apartments to postdocs who are married or in a domestic partnership.
To join the lottery, submit a completed postdoctoral housing application (.pdf) with a letter from your departmental administrator or sponsor that lists your title and appointment dates to the Office of Housing Services.
Housing will be allocated based upon the current address of the applicant, in this order:
- First preference will go to incoming postdocs who are international, and to incoming postdocs who must vacate their current University housing.
- Second preference will go to incoming and current postdocs who live within commuting distance of CUIMC but do not live in Manhattan.
- Third preference will go to incoming and current postdocs already living in Manhattan.
- Fourth preference will go to postdocs currently living in University housing who want to transfer from once campus to the other.
Our housing leasing manager will email lottery winners in order of their selection to inform them of the housing assignment. You must then respond to the email within 48 hours. If you do not respond within 48 hours, you will forfeit the right to be housed at that time.
Housing may be available at the medical center in 390 Fort Washington Ave. or at various locations throughout the Morningside campus. You may choose the location of your housing based on your lottery ranking and room availability.
Each applicant will, in order of the selection, be offered housing based on current availability, and can choose from the remaining apartments. If an applicant declines an apartment, he or she may choose to remain in the lottery for one month.
If you find alternate housing, notify Noemi Bueno, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-304-7008 so your application can be removed from the lottery.