Towers 1, 2, and 3
Built in 1971, Towers 1, 2, and 3 are a landmark feature of the Columbia University Irving Medical Center skyline, rising 30 stories above the rocky cliffs over the Hudson River. Tower 1 conveniently connects to Bard Hall, which houses CUIMC's athletic center and the ballroom where the student meal plan is served. Towers 2 and 3 share a courtyard with the Vagelos Education Center, a verdant area with stunning views of the river, the George Washington Bridge, and the Palisades.
The Towers provide spacious two- and three-person suites for single students and junior one-bedrooms and one-bedroom apartments for couples. You can join the Towers community through the Bard to Towers Lottery or through a Couples Application.
In 2017, we embarked upon a multi-year project designed to enhance spaces throughout Towers 1, 2, and 3. Learn about the Towers Modernization Project.
- Average bedroom size: 9'x12'
- Full kitchen in each apartment
- Full bathroom in each apartment
- Furnishings for some rooms depending on the lease type:*
- Extra-long twin bed
- Desk with chair
- Hutch for desk
- Table lamp
* Upon special request, we can also remove the furniture
- Lighting: Common areas are lit; residents must provide lighting for their bedrooms.
- Window blinds or shades
- Elevator service
- Laundry: Card-operated washers and dryers
- Tower 1 offers laundry services on the sixth, eighth, 10th, and 12th floors, and on every floor from the 14th through 31st floors.
- Towers 2 and 3 have washing machines on even floors and dryers in select areas as well.
- 24-hour security
- Package delivery: Tenants can pick up their packages from the door attendants of their respective buildings.
- Included in rent: The buildings are centrally air conditioned and heated. Hot and cold water, heat, and air conditioning are included in rental rate. Wireless internet is provided by CUIMC IT.
- Not included: Gas, phone, cable, and electricity. While the buildings do have air conditioning readily available, tenants will be billed for the electricity used to run the air conditioner.
Smoking is prohibited on all CUIMC property, both indoors and outdoors. This policy extends to all CUIMC residential facilities, including all apartments; public spaces such as lobbies, hallways, and stairwells; building entrances; adjacent courtyards; garages; and rooftops.
If you or anyone in your apartment is found smoking, everyone who lives in the apartment will receive a $250 fine for each occurrence. Learn more at Smoke-Free at CUIMC.