- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Joshua I. Weiner, MD, is a board-certified transplant surgeon and clinical researcher. He has particular interests in multi-visceral transplantation and transplant immunology. Dr. Weiner performs intestinal, kidney, and pancreas transplants and investigates transplant tolerance.
Departments and Divisions
- Department of Surgery
Honors and Awards
- Blakemore Prize for graduating resident best body of research during the general surgery training program at New York Presbyterian-Columbia 2017
- Second Prize in 24th Annual Columbia Surgery Research Competition, May 2015
- Highest ranked grant in 2014-2015 Columbia Department of Surgery Startup Grant competition
- First Prize in 23rd Annual Columbia Surgery Research Competition, May 2014
- John Jones Fellowship 2013-2014: Awarded annually to the Columbia General Surgery Resident submitting the best research grant
- Blakemore Award for best research abstract by a surgical resident at New York Presbyterian-Columbia 2012-2013
- Connecticut Chapter of American College of Surgeons Prize 2010: awarded to graduating students for excellence in surgical sciences
- Association for Academic Surgery-Novartis Research Award 2010: awarded to senior medical student entering a surgical field who has done outstanding research during medical school
- Cum laude, Yale School of Medicine 2010
- Medical school research thesis chosen as one of top four theses in 2010, invited for podium presentation at 2010 Yale Student Research Day
- Farr Prize for research, Yale School of Medicine, 2009
- Magna Cum Laude (2003), Harvard College.
Thesis Title: “The Media is the Message: Media Coverage and Public Opinion in the 2000 Presidential Debates”.
Thesis Advisor: Barry Burden, Ph.D.
- Authored fourth prize entry, 2003 “Funniest Celebrity in Washington Contest” on behalf of former Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman
- Elected as one of three students to Harvard University Institute of Politics Executive Board 2001-2002
- 2002 Leverett House Nominee for David Aloian Memorial Scholarship recognizing “special contributions to the quality of life in the Houses and thoughtful leadership that makes the College an exciting place in which to live and study”
- John Harvard Scholarship, 2000-2003
- Greenville Fire Department “Rookie of the Year” Award, 1998
INTESTINAL ALLOGRAFT TOLERANCE IN LARGE ANIMALS (Federal Gov)
Feb 8 2018 - Jan 31 2023
TISSUE COMPARTMENTALIZATION OF HUMAN LYMPHOCYTES (Federal Gov)
Jun 1 2013 - May 31 2018
POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING IN CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 1996 - Jun 30 2016
- Carpenter D, Matsuoka N, Thome J, Granot T, Gordon C, Kumar B, Senda T, Miron M, Weiner J, Griesemer A, Farber DL. The immunologic profile of brain death in humans: a whole-body analysis. American Journal of Transplantation (Accepted)
- Carpenter DJ, Granot T, Matsuoka N, Senda T, Kumar BV, Thome JJC, Gordon CL, Miron M, Weiner J, Connors T, Lerner H, Friedman A, Kato T, Griesemer AD, Farber DL. Human immunology studies using organ donors: impact of clinical variations on immune parameters in tissues and circulation. Am J Transplant. 2017 Jul 18.
- Granot T, Senda T, Carpenter DJ, Matsuoka N, Weiner J, Gordon CL, Miron M, Kumar BV, Griesemer A, Ho SH, Lerner H, Thome JJ, Connors T, Reizis B, Farber DL. Dendritic Cells Display Subset and Tissue-Specific Maturation Dynamics over Human Life. Immunity. 2017 Mar 21;46(3):504-515.
- Gordon CL, Miron M, Thome JJ, Matsuoka N, Weiner J, Rak MA, Iharashi S, Granot T, Lerner H, Goodrum F, Farber DL. Tissue-reservoirs of anti-viral T cell immunity in persistent human CMV infection. J Exp Med. 2017 Jan 27;214(3).
- Weiner J, Zuber J, Shonts B, Yang S, Fu J, Martinez M, Farber D, Kato T, Sykes M. Long-term persistence of innate lymphoid cells in the gut after intestinal transplantation. Transplantation. 2016 Dec 8.
- Zuber J, Shonts B, Lau S-P, Obradovic A, Fu J, Yang S, Lambert M, Coley S, Weiner J, Thome J, DeWolf S, Farber DL, Shen Y, Caillat-Zucman S, Bhagat G, Griesemer A, Martinez M, Kato T, Sykes M. Bidirectional intragraft alloreactivity drives the repopulation of human intestinal allografts and correlates with clinical outcome. Science Immunology. 07 Oct, 2016: Vol. 1., Issue 4.
- Zitsman J, Ovanez C, Alonso-Guallart P, Kato Y, Rosen J, Weiner J, Duran-Struuk R. Distinctive populations within the leukocytes of the cynomolgus macaque- an anatomical immunophenotype of hematopoietic and lymphoid organs. Comp Med. 2016;66(4):308-23.
- Weiner J, Griesemer A, Island E, Lobritto S, Martinez M, Selvaggi G, Lefkowitch J, Velasco M, Tryphonopoulos P, Emond JC, Tzakis A, Kato T. Long-term outcomes of auxiliary partial orthotopic liver transplantation in pre-adolescent children with fulminant hepatic failure. Liver Transpl. 2015 Oct 19.
- Matsuoka N, Weiner JI, Griesemer AD, Samstein BB, Zhao Y, Emond JC, Kato T. Ex Vivo Pancreaticoduodenectomy and Liver Autotransplantation for Pancreatic Head Tumor with Extensive Involvement of the Hepatoduodenal Ligament. Liver Transpl. 2015 Aug 20.
- Weiner J, Duran-Struuck R, Zitsman J, Buhler L, Sondermeijer H, McMurchy A, Levings M, Sykes M, Griesemer A. Restimulation after cryopreservation and thawing preserves the phenotype and function of expanded baboon regulatory T cells. Transplantation Direct. 2015 Feb;1(1):1-7.
- Scalea J, Vincenzo V, Gillon BC, Weiner J, Gianello P, Turcotte N, Arn JS, Yamada K, Sachs DH. Development of anti-donor antibody directed toward non-MHC antigens in tolerant animals. Transplantation. 2014 Sep 15;98(5):514-9.
- Weiner J, Wu J, Martinez M, Lobritto S, Ovchinsky N, Rohde C, Griesemer A, Kato T. The use of bi-planar tissue expanders to augment abdominal domain in a pediatric intestinal transplant recipient. Pediatr Transplant. 2014 Aug;18(5):E174-9.
- Weiner J, Griesemer A, Kato T. Surgical management of leiomyosarcoma involving the major abdominal vessels. In: Leach RA, ed. Leiomyosarcoma: risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. Hauppauge, New York: Nova Science, 2014: 1-74.
- Weiner J, Scalea J, Ishikawa Y, Okumi M, Griesemer A, Hirakata A, Etter J, Gillon B, Moran S, Shimizu A, Yamada K, Sachs DH. Tolerogenicity of donor major histocompatibility complex-matched skin grafts in previously tolerant massachusetts general hospital miniature swine. Transplantation. 2012 Dec 27;94(12):1192-9.
- Weiner J, Widman S, Golek Z, Tranquilli M, Elefteriades JA. Role of Bovine Serum Albumin-Glutaraldehyde Glue in the Formation of Anastomatic Pseudoaneurysms. J Card Surg. 2011 Jan;26(1):76-81.
- Weiner J, Yamada K, Ishikawa Y, Moran S, Etter J, Shimizu A, Smith RN, Sachs DH. Prolonged survival of GalT-KO swine skin on baboons. Xenotransplantation. 2010 Mar-Apr;17(2):147-52.
- Ishikawa Y, Hirakata A, Griesemer A, Etter J, Moran S, Weiner J, Shimizu A, Yamada K. Tolerance and long-lasting peripheral chimerism following allogeneic intestinal transplantation in MGH miniature swine. Transplantation. 2010 Feb 27;89(4):417-26.
- Wong BS, Yamada K, Okumi M, Weiner J, O'malley PE, Tseng YL, Dor FJ, Cooper DK, Saidman SL, Griesemer A, Sachs DH. Allosensitization does not increase the risk of xenoreactivity to alpha1,3-galactosyltransferase gene-knockout miniature swine in patients on transplantation waiting lists. Transplantation. 2006;82(3):314-319.