For payments drawn on foreign banks, the University recommends a wire transfer as the most efficient method of payment.
Beginning in June, 2013, we offer a new, more streamlined wire transfer service to both domestic and international students.
Columbia University contracts with Western Union to provide students with an alternative to paying their student bill by wire transfer. The new service offers a competitive rate of exchange as well as the convenience of being able to make payments in many international currencies through a local bank.
Below are instructions for making a payment and a link to a list of currencies accepted through Western Union:
- Open SSOL to begin the payment process or click here.
- Click on "Account Detail and E-Billing," then on “Wire Transfer Instructions.”
- Enter the information required on the form including name, Columbia email address, and PID.
- Enter the U.S. dollar amount of the payment you wish to make. Select the payment currency or associated country from which you will make your payment. You may wish to refer to Western Union's list of accepted currencies (PDF).
- A conversion at a competitive rate of exchange from the U.S. dollar amount will be applied to your chosen currency through the Western Union real-time rate engine. You will have the opportunity to view the payable amount in your local currency before committing to the transaction.
- Finalize the transaction by following the instructions on the web page.
- Save a PDF copy of the wire instructions confirmation page and send it to your bank or print the confirmation page and take it to your local bank to initiate the transfer of funds to Western Union. Please note that the currency quote on the confirmation page is valid for 72 hours. Western Union must receive the request within 72 hours of your receipt of the currency quote.
- Western Union will then forward the U.S. dollar amount to Columbia University where it will be credited to your student billing account.
Please note that both Western Union and Columbia University do not charge a fee per their agreement. However, your bank may impose a service fee to initiate the wire transfer. Additionally, a processing fee will be charged for transactions that cannot be deposited through normal bank channels.