New Advanced Access Scheduling for Medical Services
The CUMC Student Health Service is excited to announce that starting June 10, 2013, we will be piloting a new scheduling model, Advanced Access, for medical services. This model does not include scheduling for Mental Health or Wellness appointments.
What is Advanced Access?
Advanced Access will allow us to provide you with more timely care. It will allow patients, in most cases, to be seen on the same day that they call or go online to schedule an appointment, whether for an urgent concern or for a routine appointment (e.g., physical exam, gynecological exam, chronic disease management visit, travel consult, etc.).
Will I always be able to get a same day appointment?
Advanced Access means that in most cases we will be able to accommodate same day appointments. However, it relies on having some flexibility with the timing of your appointment during a given day. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate all students at the same time. However, we typically have between 200 and 250 clinician appointments per week and serve a community of 3500 students.
How does Advanced Access work?
• On the day you would like to be seen, please go to the web portal at http://cuhs.studenthealthportal.com to schedule an appointment.
• Select the appointment type – either “routine GYN/physical exam”, or “medical” – and select the current day.
• You will see a list of available appointments and clinicians. Select the closest time and the clinician of your choice. We encourage you to maintain continuity with one clinician whenever possible.
• If you do not see availability with your clinician, you may see another clinician on the same day or look to the next day when your clinician is available.
• You may also schedule via telephone by calling 212-305-3400, extension 1, though the online method is more expedient.
• When you arrive at Student Health for your appointment, check in with the front desk.
• If you have scheduled a GYN or physical exam, please arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment time so your vital signs can be taken.
For PPDs, immunizations, allergy shots, prescription refill requests and forms:
• Go to the Student Health Services clinic in person and see the nurse rather than scheduling with a clinician.
• Travel immunizations require a clinician appointment for a travel consult prior to seeing the nurse for the immunizations.
If you are unsure if your visit requires a clinician appointment, please stop by and see the nurse or call for a telephone consult.
Can I schedule an appointment in advance?
Though the goal of Advanced Access is to remove the need to schedule an appointment in advance, you will be able to if circumstances require you to do so.
You may still access the CUMC on-call clinician at any time after hours via telephone at 212-305-3400, prompt 7.
We welcome your feedback on this system. Please drop a comment into the box in the waiting room letting us know if this change is working for you, if you encountered any problems, or if you have any suggestions. Alternately, you can email Dr. Melanie Bernitz, Executive Director, at email@example.com.