In keeping with Columbia University’s core value of inclusion, the Student Health Service (SHS) is committed to providing quality care to all members of the CUMC community who rely on our services. We recognize and celebrate the fact that CUMC students, staff, and faculty are diverse—varying in age, physical abilities and cognitive talents, socioeconomic status, political viewpoints, religious/spiritual and/or philosophical beliefs, and sexual, gender, and racial/ethnic identities. Every member of our staff strives to be sensitive to the individual needs, values, and preferences of those who rely on us for care. Our commitment is to meet each person with interest, respect, sensitivity, and compassion. We invite you to share who you are, what concerns you, and what matters to you, and to help us learn from you and with you.
An integral part of our commitment is the on-going effort to promote health initiatives that enhance and improve our services to the diverse population we serve. We do this in a variety of ways:
- Staff training that provides opportunities for us to enhance, not only our knowledge and skills, but also our multi-cultural competency so we can provide comprehensive, integrated, and individually- and population-sensitive services
- Outreach information to address concerns and needs of special populations
- A public statement on Patient Rights and Responsibilities regarding health care at CUMC SHS
- Surveys that provide information about students' health concerns, as well as feedback about the quality of care and services at SHS
- On-going efforts to attract a diverse pool of qualified candidates for every open position at SHS
- Partnership with other departments on campus, so there is consistent communication, training and outreach regarding specific healthcare needs
- Co-sponsorship of events and initiatives with student organizations
We welcome your concerns, questions, or suggestions regarding our commitment to diversity. If you would like to provide feedback, please complete the Patient Feedback Form and return it to SHS, either in person or by email to email@example.com. If you would prefer to provide anonymous feedback, this can be done by clicking here.