Primary Care Physician
60 Haven Avenue, B-234
New York, NY 10032
Thomas Mele has been a primary care physician at the Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) Student Health Center (SHS) since 2007. Prior to this, he worked for 2 years at Urban Health Plan, a Community Health Center in the Bronx, as their section chief of Urgent Care. Dr. Mele moved to New York in 2004 from Montreal, where he had most recently practiced in Urgent Care at the Kahnawake Indian Reserve as well as in Private Practice in Family Medicine. Dr. Mele worked for 10 years as a physician in the Emergency Department of the Montreal General Hospital, a level one Trauma Center affiliated with McGill University. He held an academic appointment of Clinical Instructor at McGill for 10 years, and is currently an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Center for Family and Community Medicine at CUMC. He has held several administrative and committee positions in the past, including the President of the Council of Physicians at Kateri Memorial Hospital, Kahnawake, Quebec, and is currently on the Clinical Care Committee at Callen Lorde Community Health Center.
Originally from Seattle, Washington, Dr. Mele has a degree in Microbiology from the University of Washington, and did his MD, residency and fellowship at McGill University in Montreal Canada.
At the Student Health Service Dr. Mele’s interests include Occupational Medicine, Urgent Care, Dermatology and LGB/Transgender Medicine.
- BSc, Microbiology, University of Washington, Seattle
- MD, McGill University Montreal, Canada
Certifications & Licensure
- Licentiate Canadian College of Family Physicians
- CCFP(EM) Special Competence in Emergency Medicine
- Certified by the American Board of Family Medicine
- Licensed to practice medicine in the State of New York and in Quebec
- Primary Care Physician, CUMC Student Health Service
- Preceptor, Family Medicine Residency Program Columbia University, Farrell Community Health Clinic
- Attending Physician, Montreal General Hospital Emergency Department
- Urgent Care Physician, Kahnawake Memorial Hospital, Quebec
- Family Medicine Practice, Roper Clinic, Westmount, Quebec
- Section Chief, Urgent Care, Urban Health Plan, Bronx, NY
- American College Health Association
- American Academy of Family Physicians