Studying abroad affords you the opportunity to intersect with an array of cultures, belief systems, and adventures. Additionally, you may feel a diminished sense of available social support and witness events in a new context where you feel that you may have less control. Culture stress is one possibility during experiences abroad and time and support-seeking can be instrumental acts of self-care.
Tips for Self-care
- Find a local person with whom you can talk regularly
- Write emails, letters, Skype with family and friends
- Visit fellow students in nearby areas
- Read for pleasure
- Find private time for reflection
- Take breaks and make space for physical activities
You can always reach out to CSW to schedule a Skype Wellness Appointment.
- SHS Travel
- US Department of State Students Abroad
- CDC Advice for Safe and Healthy Travel for Students
- Headington Institute - Resources for Humanitarian Workers