Center for Student Wellness
50 Haven Avenue, Suite 101
New York, NY 10032
Dr. Laird joined the Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) Student Health Service in 2010. Prior to joining SHS, he worked for Columbia Health on the Morningside campus, overseeing initiatives related to substance abuse prevention and intervention, sexual health, nutrition, and physical activity. Justin studied at the University of Texas at Austin and Baylor University and taught courses there during his graduate studies.
Justin’s professional experience includes practicing health promotion in college and corporate settings and he has served as an academic advisor and faculty in residence. He currently teaches courses in health disparities, healthcare administration, and research methodology at the Murphy Institute CUNY and was previously on the faculty of health science at the College of Brockport. His special interests include mindfulness, cultural humility, and existentialism. He provides guidance to students in the CUMC Queer and Ally Partnership and works on several research and policy initiatives. Justin is currently a candidate pursing psychoanalytic licensure in New York.
Outside of work, Justin enjoys long distance cycling, running, snowboarding, boxing, Central Park, and a bit of travel, especially to Canada.
- LP, Gestalt Associates for Psychotherapy and Training (2017)
- PhD, University of Texas at Austin
- MSEd, Baylor University
- Assistant Director, Center for Student Wellness
- Adjunct Associate Professor, The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies
- Senior Health Promotion Specialist, Alice! Health Promotion
- Assistant professor and faculty in residence, SUNY Brockport
- Instructor, University of Texas at Austin and Baylor University
- Grubb H, Hutcherson H, Amiel J, Bogart J, Laird J. Cultural Humility with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Populations: A Novel Curriculum in LGBT Health for Clinical Medical Students. MedEdPORTAL; 2013. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9542
- Holleran-Steiker, L.K., Goldbach, J. T., Sagun, D., Hopson, L., Laird, J. M. (2009). Prevention Science. In Cohen, L. M., Collins, F. L, Young, A. M., McChargue, D. E., & Leffingwell, T. R. (Eds.) Pharmacology and Treatment of Substance Abuse: Evidence and Outcome Based Perspectives. Routledge Publishers, New York, NY.
- Peterson, F., Cooper, R., and Laird, J. Enhancing Teacher Health Literacy in School Health Promotion: A Vision for the New Millennium, Journal of School Health. April, 2001; 71(4):138-144.
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- American Psychoanalytic Association
- A.K. Rice Institute and New York Center for the study of groups, organizations, and social systems