Jane Bogart joined the Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) Student Health Service (SHS) in September 2008. Previously, she was Coordinator of Student Health Outreach and Promotion (SHOP) at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and, prior to that, she was Director of Health Promotion at NYU (1995-2005). At NYU, she was a recipient of the “Arnold Grossman Outstanding Staff/Faculty Service to the LGBT Community Award.”
Dr. Bogart has taught at Teachers College, Columbia University, from which she earned both Masters and Doctoral degrees in Health Education. She was a trainer for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) working with Y-Peer Program in Eastern Europe and the Arab States, as well as Past-Chair of the Health Promotion Section of the American College Health Association (ACHA), and an appointed member of the City of Santa Cruz Commission for the Prevention of Violence against Women. She has appeared as a "Sexpert" on MTV’s The First National Sex Quiz and you can find her "Howcast" videos about Understanding STIs on YouTube. Her first book, Sexploration: The Ultimate Guide to Feeling Truly Great in Bed (Penguin, 2006) was reviewed positively by both Publishers Weekly and Kirkus Reviews.
Before working in the field of College Health, Dr. Bogart was a Health Education Specialist at the Washington Heights-Inwood Healthy Heart Program, a Research Assistant in the Department of Health and Behavior Studies at Teachers College, and a Fashion Marketing Assistant at Associated Dry Goods. She was a Design and Environmental Analysis major at Cornell University, but fulfilled her dream of dancing professionally by appearing on the TV show "Fame" and dancing with Mickey Mouse. Dr. Bogart is a former Certified Exercise Instructor and personal trainer.
When not working Dr. Bogart likes to keep moving – she is happy swimming, cycling, kayaking or cross-country skiing. She satisfies her creative side by taking classes in ceramics, jewelry making, and textile arts.
- EdD, Health Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
- MA, Health Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
- BS, Apparel Design and Marketing, Cornell University
Certifications & Licensure
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES)
- NY State HIV Pre and Post Test Counselor
- BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention in College Students)
- Certified Rape Crisis Counselor, St.Vincent’s Rape Crisis Center, NY
- Director, Center for Student Wellness, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY
- Manager, Student Health Outreach and Promotion (SHOP), University of California-Santa Cruz, CA
- Director, Office for Wellness Learning (OWL), New York University, New York, NY
- Instructor, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Kernan, W., Bogart, J., & Wheat, M. E. (2011). Health-related barriers to learning among graduate students. Health Education, 111(5), 425-445.
- Bogart, J., Wheat, M., & Kernan, W. D. (2010, April). Self-Compassion, Burnout, and the Academic Impact of Student Health Concerns. In Annals of Behavioral Medicine (Vol. 39, pp. 174-174).
Awards and Honors
- Arnold Grossman Outstanding Staff/Faculty Service to the LGBT Community Award, NYU
- Mayor’s Proclamation, Service to the Commission for the Prevention of Violence against Women, City of Santa Cruz, California
- American College Health Association