The CUMC Student Health Service uses an Advanced Access scheduling system for medical services. This model does not include scheduling for Mental Health or Wellness appointments.
What is Advanced Access?
Advanced Access allows us to provide you with more timely care. It allows patients, in most cases, to be seen within one business day of the time that they call or go online to schedule an appointment, whether for an urgent concern or for a routine appointment (e.g., physical exam, gynecological exam, chronic disease management visit, travel consult, etc.).
Will I always be able to get a same day appointment?
Advanced Access means that in most cases we will be able to accommodate appointments within one business day. However, it relies on having some flexibility with the timing of your appointment during a given day. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate all students at the same time. However, we typically have between 200 and 250 clinician appointments per week and serve a community of 3500 students.
How does Advanced Access work?
- The schedule is opened up 24 hours prior to the appointment time. For example, a 2pm appointment on a Friday will be schedulable in the online portal after 2pm on a Thursday. Monday appointments will be schedulable in the system on a Friday and throughout the weekend.
- Within 24 hours of the time you would like to be seen (or for a Monday appointment, on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday), please go to the online portal to schedule an appointment.
- Select the appointment type – either “routine GYN/physical exam”, or “medical/GYN problem” – and select the current day or the next business day.
- You will see a list of available appointments and clinicians. Select the closest time and the clinician of your choice. We encourage you to maintain continuity with one clinician whenever possible.
- If you do not see availability with your clinician, you may see another clinician on the same day or try back at a later time with your clinician.
- You may also schedule via telephone by calling 212-305-3400, extension 1, though the online method is more expedient.
- When you arrive at Student Health for your appointment, check in with the front desk.
- Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment time so your vital signs can be taken.
For PPDs, immunizations, allergy shots, prescription refill requests and forms:
- Go to the Student Health Services clinic in person and see the nurse rather than scheduling with a clinician.
- Travel immunizations require a clinician appointment for a travel consult prior to seeing the nurse for the immunizations.
If you are unsure if your visit requires a clinician appointment, please stop by and see the nurse or call for a telephone consult.
Can I schedule an appointment in advance?
Though the goal of Advanced Access is to remove the need to schedule an appointment in advance, you will be able to if circumstances require you to do so.
You may still access the CUMC on-call clinician at any time after hours via telephone at (212) 305-3400, prompt 7.
We welcome your feedback on this system. Please drop a comment into the box in the waiting room letting us know if this change is working for you, if you encountered any problems, or if you have any suggestions. Alternately, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or send an anonymous comment by clicking here.