Matthew Baldwin, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Baldwin’s research is in critical care outcomes with a focus on examining frailty in older ICU survivors of respiratory failure. The overall hypothesis of his research is that outcomes of critical illness in older adults could be dramatically improved by understanding the determinants of those outcomes and patients’ palliative care needs and treatment preferences, and then by designing interventions based on that understanding during the post-ICU care period (which includes post-ICU acute care, post-acute facility care, or home care after hospital discharge).
Dr. Baldwin has received a KL2 award from the Columbia CTSA, and a pilot study and a K23 award from the NIA. Currently, he is recruiting for a prospective cohort study that seeks to determine whether frailty and other measures of neuromuscular function measured near hospital discharge in older ICU survivors are associated independently with post-discharge disability and mortality. Future studies will examine palliative care needs of older ICU survivors and the feasibility of a post-ICU palliative care consultation intervention in the week prior to hospital discharge. Dr. Baldwin performs other studies with institutional data to identify clinical and laboratory measures made during the post-ICU acute care period that are associated with poor outcomes after hospitalization involving intensive care. In addition, Dr. Baldwin collaborates with Dr. Lederer to study associations between potential measures of frailty in lung transplant candidates and post-transplant outcomes.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Baldwin MR, Reid MC, Westlake AA, Rowe JW, Granieri EC, Wunsch H, Dam T, Rabinowitz D, Goldstein N, Maurer MS, Lederer DJ. The feasibility of measuring frailty to predict disability and mortality in older medical-ICU survivors. J Crit Care. 2014 Jan 6. pii: S0883-9441(14)00004-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2013.12.019. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: PMCID – Journal in Process.
- Baldwin MR, Wunsch H, Reyfman PA, Narain WR, Blinderman CD, Schluger NW, Reid MC, Maurer MS, Goldstein N, Lederer DJ, Bach P. High burden of palliative needs among older ICU survivors transferred to post-acute care facilities: A single center study. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013. Oct;10(5): 458-65. PMID: 23987743; PMCID – Journal In Process.
- Baldwin MR, Narain WR, Wunsch H, Schluger NW, Cooke JT, Maurer MS, Rowe JW, Lederer DJ, Bach PB. A prognostic model for 6-month mortality in elderly survivors of critical illness. Chest. 2013;143(4):910-9. PMID: 23632902; PMCID: 3616685.
- Baldwin MR, Peterson ER, Easthausen I, Quintanilla I, Colago E, Sonett JR, D'Ovidio F, Costa J, Diamond JM, Christie JD, Arcasoy SM, Lederer DJ. Donor age and early graft failure after lung transplantation: A cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2013 Oct; 13(10):2685-95. PMID: 24034167; PMCID – Journal In Process.
- Kato TS, Cheema FH, Yang J, Kawano Y, Takayama H, Naka Y, Farr M, Lederer DJ, Baldwin MR, Jin Z, Homma S, Mancini DM, Schulze PC. Preoperative serum albumin levels predict 1-year postoperative survival of patients undergoing heart transplantation. Circ Heart Fail. 2013;6(4):785-91. PMID: 23674361.
- Baldwin MR, Arcasoy SM, Shah A, Schulze PC, Sze J, Sonett JR, Lederer DJ. Hypoalbuminemia and early mortality after lung transplantation: a cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2012;12(5):1256-67. PMID: 22335491; PMCID: PMC3628840.