Stephen Canfield, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Education and Training
- B.A. in Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA, 1980-1984
- Graduate School:
- PhD Columbia University, Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, 1986-1990
- Medical School:
- Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, 1992
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia University Medical Center, 1993
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia University Medical Center, 1995
- Chief Residency:
- Internal Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1995-1996
- Clinical Fellow in Allergy & Immunology, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1999-2001
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1996-1999
Honors and Awards
- 2011 Ewig Award for Outstanding Clinician Educator
- 2009 Present Fellow, Glenda Garvey Teaching Academy
- 2002 AAAAI Educational Research Trust Faculty Development Award
- 1995-1996 Medical Chief Resident
- Louis P. Markey Fellowship
Herbert Irving Pavilion
161 Fort Washington Avenue, 310
New York, NY 10032
- Allergy and Immunology Medicine
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Allergy Evaluation and Treatment
- Food Allergies
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Allergic Contact Dermatitis
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 1995
- Allergy and Immunology Diplomate, 2001
- Characterization of the molecular signaling events that follow interleukin-4 (IL-4) stimulation of B and T Cells.
- Particular interest in the molecular mechanizm by which singular nucleotide polymorphisms in the gene encoding the IL-4 receptor alpha chain are associated with increased susceptibility to asthma and atopic disease in humans.
- Canfield, S., Lee, Y., Shröder, A., Rothman, P. Cutting Edge: IL-4 Induces Suppressor of Cytokine Signaling-3 Expression in B Cells by a Mechanism Dependent on Activation of p38 MAPK. 2005. J. Immunol. 174(5):2494-2498.
- Chew, GL., Perzanowski, MS., Canfield, SM, et al. Cockroach Allergen Levels and Associations with Cockroach-specific IgE. 2008. J. Allergy Clin Immunol 121:240-245.
- Perzanowski, MS, Canfield, SM, Chew, GL, et al. Birth Order, Atopy, and Symptoms of Allergy and Asthma Among Inner-city Children Attending Head Start in New York City. 2008. Clin Exp Allergy. 38(6): 968-976.
- Jacobson, JS, Goldstein, IF, Canfield, SM, et al. Early Respiratory Infections and Asthma Among New York City Head Start Children. 2008. J. Asthma. 45:301-308.
- Canfield, SM, Jacobson, JS, Perzanowski, MS, et al. Total and Specific IgE Associations between New York City Head Start Children and their Parents. 2008. J. Allergy Clin Immunol. 121(6):1422-1427.
- Jelic, S, Padeletti, M, Kawut, SM, Higgins, C, Canfield, SM, Duygu, O, Colombo, PC, Basner, RC, Factor, P, LeJemtel, TH. Inflammation, Oxidative Stress, and Repair Capacity of the Vascular Endothelium in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. 2008. Circulation. 117:2270-2278.
- Rotsides DZ, Goldstein, IF, Canfield, SM, Perzanowski, et al. Asthma, Allergy, and IgE Levels In NYC Head Start Children. 2010. Respiratory Medicine. 104(3):345-355.
- Mehra, D, Sternberg, DI, Jia, Y, Canfield, S, Lemiatre, V, Nkyimbeng, T, Wilder, J, Sonett, J, D’Armiento, J. Altered Lymphocyte Trafficking and Diminished Airway Reactivity in Transgenic Mice Expressing Human MMP-9 in a Mouse Model of Asthma. 2010. Am J Physiol Lung Mol Physiol. 298(2): L189-96.
- Kashiwada, M, Levy, D, McKeag, L, Murray, K, Schroder, AJ, Canfield, SM, Traver, G, Rothman, PB. IL-4-Induced Transcription Factor NFIL3/E4BP4 Controls IgE Class Switching. 2010. PNAS 107:821-826.
- Rastogi, D, Canfield, SM, Andrade, A, Isasi, CR, Hall, CB, Rubinstein, A, Arens, R. Obesity-Associated Asthma in Children – A Distinct Entity. 2011. Chest. [Epub ahead of print]
*Please see CV for complete list of publications