Matthew R. Baldwin M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Baldwin attends on the Critical Care Services at The New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia. His research is focused on measuring frailty and body composition in elderly survivors of critical illness in order to identify and risk-stratify these patients for preventative, therapeutic, rehabilitative, and palliative interventions that seek to improve critical illness survivorship. Dr. Baldwin also collaborates with Dr. Lederer to study body composition and lung transplantation outcomes.
Education and Training
- B.S. in Biology with Honors, Boston College, Boston, MA, 1995-1999
- Medical School:
- Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, 1999-2004
- Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, 2005-2007
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2008-2011
- Post-Doctoral Research Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2011-2012
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1998 Harvard Medical School Undergraduate Research Fellow
- 1999 Phi Beta Kappa
- 1999 Magna cum laude
- 1999 John McCarthy, S.J. Award, Boston College, awarded for the most outstanding undergraduate thesis in the sciences
- 2002 United States Fulbright Scholar (Public Health)
- 2004 Alpha Omega Alpha
- 2004 Doctor Durante Scholar, Columbia P&S, awarded to two senior medical students who best demonstrate academic and extra-curricular excellence.
- 2004 Doctor Charles Hamilton Award, Columbia P&S, awarded to the most outstanding medical student in pulmonary medicine.
- 2008 Physician of the Year, Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- 2009 New York Presbyterian Hospital Shining Star Employee, award based on letters of appreciation written to the hospital from families of patients I cared for in the ICU.
To initate a transfer request, physicians should call 1-800-NYP-STAT which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- General pulmonary medicine
- Critical Care medicine
- Prolonged mechanical ventilation and weaning
- Lung transplantation
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 2007
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 2010
- Critical Care Medicine Diplomate, 2011
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care-Baldwin's Laboratory
622 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
P: (212) 305-6539
- Critical care outcomes after hospital discharge
- Measuring and treating frailty among elderly survivors of critical illness
- Chronic critical illness
- Palliative care for chronically and critically ill
- Lung Transplantation
- KL2 TR000081 (Ginsberg) 07/01/2013-06/30/2015
NCRR and the CTSA/Irving Institute at Columbia University Improving Critical Illness Survivorship for Older Adults
Role: K12 awardee
- 3P30AG022845-0781 Subcontract (Reid) 10/01/2011-09/30/2013
- NIH Loan repayment Grant 10/01/2011-09/30/2015
Role: Loan Repayment Awardee
- UL1 RR024156 (Begg) 07/01/2010-06/30/2012
Role: Student in Master's Program in Patient Oriented Research
NIA and Translational Research Institute for Pain in Later Life/Cornell University
Measuring Frailty in Older Survivors of Critical Illness Role: Pilot Grant PI
- Baldwin MR, Reid MC, Westlake AA, Rowe JW, Granieri EC, Wunsch H, Dam T, Rabinowitz D, Goldstein N, Maurer MS, Lederer DJ. The feasibility of measuring frailty to predict disability and mortality in older medical-ICU survivors. J Crit Care. 2014 Jan 6. pii: S0883-9441(14)00004-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2013.12.019. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: PMCID – Journal in Process.
- Baldwin MR, Wunsch H, Reyfman PA, Narain WR, Blinderman CD, Schluger NW, Reid MC, Maurer MS, Goldstein N, Lederer DJ, Bach P. High burden of palliative needs among older ICU survivors transferred to post-acute care facilities: A single center study. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013. Oct;10(5): 458-65. PMID: 23987743; PMCID – Journal In Process.
- Baldwin MR, Narain WR, Wunsch H, Schluger NW, Cooke JT, Maurer MS, Rowe JW, Lederer DJ, Bach PB. A prognostic model for 6-month mortality in elderly survivors of critical illness. Chest. 2013;143(4):910-9. PMID: 23632902; PMCID: 3616685.
- Wingfield T, Schumacher SG, Gurinder S, Tovar M, Zevallos K, Baldwin MR, Montoya R, Ramos E, Jongkaewwattana C, Sampson B, Boccia D, Lewis LJ, Friedland JS, Gilman RH, Evans CE. Tuberculosis, sunlight, and vitamin D seasonality. J Infect Dis, 2014 Mar 4. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24596279; PMCID – Journal in Process.
- Baldwin MR, Peterson ER, Easthausen I, Quintanilla I, Colago E, Sonett JR, D'Ovidio F, Costa J, Diamond JM, Christie JD, Arcasoy SM, Lederer DJ. Donor age and early graft failure after lung transplantation: A cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2013 Oct; 13(10):2685-95. PMID: 24034167; PMCID – Journal In Process.
- Kato TS, Cheema FH, Yang J, Kawano Y, Takayama H, Naka Y, Farr M, Lederer DJ, Baldwin MR, Jin Z, Homma S, Mancini DM, Schulze PC. Preoperative serum albumin levels predict 1-year postoperative survival of patients undergoing heart transplantation. Circ Heart Fail. 2013;6(4):785-91. PMID: 23674361.
- Baldwin MR, Arcasoy SM, Shah A, Schulze PC, Sze J, Sonett JR, Lederer DJ. Hypoalbuminemia and early mortality after lung transplantation: a cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2012;12(5):1256-67. PMID: 22335491; PMCID: PMC3628840.
- Checkley W, West KP, Jr., Wise RA, Baldwin MR, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Christian P, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Khatry S, Sommer A. Maternal vitamin A supplementation and lung function in offspring. N Engl J Med. 2010;362(19):1784-94. PMID: 20463338.
- Baldwin MR, Checkley W, Wise RA, Khatry SK, LeClerq SC, West KP, Jr. A cleaning and calibration method for the SpiroPro portable spirometer's pneumotachometer tube in a remote field study. Respir Care. 2010;55(4):443-52. PMID: 20406512.
- Baldwin MR, Yori PP, Ford C, Moore DA, Gilman RH, Vidal C, Ticona E, Evans CA. Tuberculosis and nutrition: disease perceptions and health seeking behavior of household contacts in the Peruvian Amazon. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;8(12):1484-91. PMID: 15636496; PMCID: 2912521.
- Baldwin MR and Wunsch H. (2014) Mortality after critical illness. In: Stevens RD, Hart N, and Herridge M (Eds). The legacy of critical illness: A textbook of post-ICU medicine (pp 18-38). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Baldwin MR. Measuring and predicting outcomes in elderly ICU survivors. Minerva Anestesiol, accepted pending minor revisions.
- Baldwin MR and Wanner TJ. Part IV: Rapid References in The Osler Medical Handbook, 2nd Ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2005, 1007-1016.