Matthew R. Baldwin M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Baldwin attends on the Critical Care Services at The New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia. His research is focused on measuring frailty and body composition in elderly survivors of critical illness in order to identify and risk-stratify these patients for preventative, therapeutic, rehabilitative, and palliative interventions that seek to improve critical illness survivorship. Dr. Baldwin also collaborates with Dr. Lederer to study body composition and lung transplantation outcomes.
Education and Training
- B.S. in Biology with Honors, Boston College, Boston, MA, 1995-1999
- Medical School:
- Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, 1999-2004
- Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, 2005-2007
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2008-2011
- Post-Doctoral Research Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2011-2012
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1998 Harvard Medical School Undergraduate Research Fellow
- 1999 Phi Beta Kappa
- 1999 Magna cum laude
- 1999 John McCarthy, S.J. Award, Boston College, awarded for the most outstanding undergraduate thesis in the sciences
- 2002 United States Fulbright Scholar (Public Health)
- 2004 Alpha Omega Alpha
- 2004 Doctor Durante Scholar, Columbia P&S, awarded to two senior medical students who best demonstrate academic and extra-curricular excellence.
- 2004 Doctor Charles Hamilton Award, Columbia P&S, awarded to the most outstanding medical student in pulmonary medicine.
- 2008 Physician of the Year, Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- 2009 New York Presbyterian Hospital Shining Star Employee, award based on letters of appreciation written to the hospital from families of patients I cared for in the ICU.
To initate a transfer request, physicians should call 1-800-NYP-STAT which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- General pulmonary medicine
- Critical Care medicine
- Prolonged mechanical ventilation and weaning
- Lung transplantation
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 2007
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 2010
- Critical Care Medicine Diplomate, 2011
- Critical care outcomes after hospital discharge
- Measuring and treating frailty among elderly survivors of critical illness
- Chronic critical illness
- Palliative care for chronically and critically ill
- Lung Transplantation
- KL2 TR000081 (Ginsberg) 07/01/2013-06/30/2015
NCRR and the CTSA/Irving Institute at Columbia University Improving Critical Illness Survivorship for Older Adults
Role: K12 awardee
- 3P30AG022845-0781 Subcontract (Reid) 10/01/2011-09/30/2013
- NIH Loan repayment Grant 10/01/2011-09/30/2015
Role: Loan Repayment Awardee
- UL1 RR024156 (Begg) 07/01/2010-06/30/2012
Role: Student in Master's Program in Patient Oriented Research
NIA and Translational Research Institute for Pain in Later Life/Cornell University
Measuring Frailty in Older Survivors of Critical Illness Role: Pilot Grant PI
- Baldwin MR, Reid MC, Westlake AA, Rowe JW, Granieri EC, Wunsch H, Dam T, Rabinowitz D, Goldstein N, Maurer MS, Lederer DJ. Measuring Fried’s Frailty to Predict Disability and Mortality in Older Medical-ICU Survivors: A Pilot Study. J Crit Care, under review.
- Baldwin MR, Peterson E, Easthausen I, Quintanilla I, Colago E, Sonett JR, D’Ovidio F, Bacchetta M, Costa J, Diamond J, Christie JD, Arcasoy SM, Lederer DJ. Donor age and early graft failure after lung transplantation: a cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2013. Epub 2013/08/26. DOI: 10.1111/ajt.12428.
- Wingfield T, Schumacher SG, Gurinder S, Tovar M, Zevallos K, Baldwin MR, Montoya R, Ramos E, Jongkaewwattana C, Sampson B, Boccia D, Lewis LJ, Friedland JS, Gilman RH, Evans CE. Tuberculosis, sunlight, and vitamin D seasonality. PLoS One, under review.
- Baldwin MR, Wunsch H, Reyfman P, Narain WR, Blinderman C, Schluger NW, Reid CM, Maurer MS, Goldstein N, Lederer DJ, Bach PB. High Burden of Palliative Needs Among Older ICU Survivors Transferred to Post-Acute Care Facilities: A Single Center Study. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013. Epub 2013/08/31. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201303-039OC.
- Kato TS, Cheema F, Yang J, Kawano Y, Takayama H, Yoshifumi N, Farr MJ, Lederer DJ, Baldwin MR, Mancini DM, Schulze PC. Preoperative Serum Albumin Levels Predict Survival of Patients Undergoing Heart Transplantation. Circ Heart Fail. 2013 May 14 [Epub ahead of print].
- Baldwin MR, Narain W, Wunsch H, Schluger NW, Cooke JT, Rowe JW, Maurer MS, Lederer DJ, Bach PB. A Prognostic Model for 6-Month Mortality in Elderly Survivors of Critical Illness. Chest. 2013 Apr 1;143(4): 910-9.
- Baldwin MR, Arcasoy SM, Shah A, Schulze PC, Sze J, Sonett JR, Lederer DJ. Hypoalbuminemia and early mortality after lung transplantation: a cohort study. Amer J Transplant, 2012 May;12(5):1256-67.
- Checkley W, West KP Jr, Wise RA, Baldwin MR, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Christian P, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Khatry S, Sommer A. Effects of maternal vitamin A supplementation on lung function in preadolescent offspring: A follow-up study of a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial cohort in rural Nepal. N Engl J Med. 2010 May 13;326(19): 1784-1794.
- Baldwin MR, Checkley W, Wise RA, Khatry SK, LeClerq SC, West KP Jr. Maximizing the stability of pneumotachs for portable flow-measuring spirometers used in a resource-poor field-study setting. Respir Care. April 2010 55:4; 443-452.
- Baldwin MR, Yori PP, Ford C, Moore DA, Gilman RH, Vidal C, Ticona E, Evans CA. Tuberculosis and nutrition: disease perceptions and health seeking behavior of household contacts in the Peruvian Amazon. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004 Dec; 8(12): 1484-91.
- Baldwin MR and Wunsch H. Mortality after critical illness. In: Stevens RD, Hart N, and Herridge M (Eds.), Life after the ICU: from survival to recovery. Oxford: Oxford University Press, in press.
- Baldwin MR and Wanner TJ. Part IV: Rapid References in The Osler Medical Handbook, 2nd Ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2005, 1007-1016.
*Please see CV for complete list of publications