Matthew R. Baldwin M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Baldwin attends on the Critical Care Services at The New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia. His research is focused on measuring frailty and body composition in elderly survivors of critical illness in order to identify and risk-stratify these patients for preventative, therapeutic, rehabilitative, and palliative interventions that seek to improve critical illness survivorship. Dr. Baldwin also collaborates with Dr. Lederer to study body composition and lung transplantation outcomes.
Education and Training
- B.S. in Biology with Honors, Boston College, Boston, MA, 1995-1999
- Medical School:
- Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, 1999-2004
- Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, 2005-2007
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2008-2011
- Post-Doctoral Research Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2011-2012
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1998 Harvard Medical School Undergraduate Research Fellow
- 1999 Phi Beta Kappa
- 1999 Magna cum laude
- 1999 John McCarthy, S.J. Award, Boston College, awarded for the most outstanding undergraduate thesis in the sciences
- 2002 United States Fulbright Scholar (Public Health)
- 2004 Alpha Omega Alpha
- 2004 Doctor Durante Scholar, Columbia P&S, awarded to two senior medical students who best demonstrate academic and extra-curricular excellence.
- 2004 Doctor Charles Hamilton Award, Columbia P&S, awarded to the most outstanding medical student in pulmonary medicine.
- 2008 Physician of the Year, Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- 2009 New York Presbyterian Hospital Shining Star Employee, award based on letters of appreciation written to the hospital from families of patients I cared for in the ICU.
- 2010 Master’s in Patient Oriented Research Scholarship (UL1/CTSA co-PIs: Henry Ginsberg and Melissa Begg)
- 2012 Medicine Grand Rounds at Columbia University Medical Center, “Predicting Mortality in Elderly Survivors of Critical Illness”, most outstanding post-doctoral clinical research of the year in the Columbia University Department of Medicine
- 2012 Faculty for NIH R25-funded BEST-DP: Biostatistics Enrichment Summer Training Diversity Program
- 2013 KL2 Scholar Mentored Career Development Award
- 2014 K23 Mentored-Career Development Award from the National Institute on Aging
- 2014 Visiting Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin, Department of Geriatrics and Gerontology, and Division of Critical Care, supported by the Donald W. Reynold’s foundation Geriatrics Training Program
To initiate a transfer request, physicians should call 1-800-NYP-STAT which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- General pulmonary medicine
- Critical Care medicine
- Prolonged mechanical ventilation and weaning
- Lung transplantation
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 2007
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 2010
- Critical Care Medicine Diplomate, 2011
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care-Baldwin's Laboratory
622 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
P: (212) 305-6539
- Critical care outcomes after hospital discharge
- Measuring and treating frailty among elderly survivors of critical illness
- Chronic critical illness
- Palliative care for chronically and critically ill
- Lung Transplantation
- K23AG045560-01A1 (Baldwin) NIA 08/15/2014-08/14/2019
Frailty, Palliative Needs, and Outcomes in Elderly Survivors of Critical Illness
- Loan Repayment Award (Baldwin) 10/01/2011-09/30/2015
- KL2 TR000081 (Ginsberg) NIH/NCRR 07/01/2013-08/14/2015
Improving Critical Illness Survivorship for Older Adults
Role: K12/KL2 Awardee
- 3P30AG022845-0781 (Reid) NIA Translational Research Institute for Pain in Later Life 09/01/2011-03/30/2013 Measuring Frailty and Palliative Needs in Elderly Survivors of Critical Illness
Role: PI, Subcontract Pilot Grant
- UL1 RR024156 (Begg)NIH/NCRR 07/01/2010-07/01/2012
Master’s Program in Patient Oriented Research
Role: Graduate Student Awardee
- UL1 RR024156 (Begg)NIH/NCRR 07/01/2002-07/01/2003
United States Fulbright Scholarship (Baldwin) United States Department of State
Determinants of Tuberculosis Susceptibility Mentors: Robert Gilman, MD, and Carlton Evans, MD, PhD Role: Scholar in Public Health
Measuring Frailty and Palliative Needs in Elderly Survivors of Critical Illness
Primary Mentor: John Rowe, MD (2011-2013) and David Lederer, MD, MS (2013-2015) Role: Loan Repayment Grant Awardee
- Baldwin MR, Reid MC, Westlake AA, Rowe JW, Granieri EC, Wunsch H, Dam T, Rabinowitz D, Goldstein N, Maurer MS, Lederer DJ. The feasibility of measuring frailty to predict disability and mortality in older medical-ICU survivors. J Crit Care. 2014 Jun;29(3):401-8. PMID: 24559575; PMCID: 4012557.
- Baldwin MR, Wunsch H, Reyfman PA, Narain WR, Blinderman CD, Schluger NW, Reid MC, Maurer MS, Goldstein N, Lederer DJ, Bach P. High burden of palliative needs among older ICU survivors transferred to post-acute care facilities: A single center study. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013. Oct;10(5): 458-65. PMID: 23987743; PMCID: 3960912.
- Baldwin MR, Narain WR, Wunsch H, Schluger NW, Cooke JT, Maurer MS, Rowe JW, Lederer DJ, Bach PB. A prognostic model for 6-month mortality in elderly survivors of critical illness. Chest. 2013;143(4):910-9. PMID: 23632902; PMCID: 3616685.
- Wingfield T, Schumacher SG, Gurinder S, Tovar M, Zevallos K, Baldwin MR, Montoya R, Ramos E, Jongkaewwattana C, Sampson B, Boccia D, Lewis LJ, Friedland JS, Gilman RH, Evans CE. Tuberculosis, sunlight, and vitamin D seasonality. J Infect Dis, 2014 Sept 1;210(5):774-83. PMID: 24596279.
- Baldwin MR, Peterson ER, Easthausen I, Quintanilla I, Colago E, Sonett JR, D'Ovidio F, Costa J, Diamond JM, Christie JD, Arcasoy SM, Lederer DJ. Donor age and early graft failure after lung transplantation: A cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2013 Oct; 13(10):2685-95. PMID: 24034167; PMCID – Journal In Process.
- Kato TS, Cheema FH, Yang J, Kawano Y, Takayama H, Naka Y, Farr M, Lederer DJ, Baldwin MR, Jin Z, Homma S, Mancini DM, Schulze PC. Preoperative serum albumin levels predict 1-year postoperative survival of patients undergoing heart transplantation. Circ Heart Fail. 2013;6(4):785-91. PMID: 23674361; PMCID: 4074373.
- Baldwin MR, Arcasoy SM, Shah A, Schulze PC, Sze J, Sonett JR, Lederer DJ. Hypoalbuminemia and early mortality after lung transplantation: a cohort study. Am J Transplant. 2012;12(5):1256-67. PMID: 22335491; PMCID: 3628840.
- Checkley W, West KP, Jr., Wise RA, Baldwin MR, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Christian P, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Khatry S, Sommer A. Maternal vitamin A supplementation and lung function in offspring. N Engl J Med. 2010;362(19):1784-94. PMID: 20463338.
- Baldwin MR, Checkley W, Wise RA, Khatry SK, LeClerq SC, West KP, Jr. A cleaning and calibration method for the SpiroPro portable spirometer's pneumotachometer tube in a remote field study. Respir Care. 2010;55(4):443-52. PMID: 20406512.
- Baldwin MR, Yori PP, Ford C, Moore DA, Gilman RH, Vidal C, Ticona E, Evans CA. Tuberculosis and nutrition: disease perceptions and health seeking behavior of household contacts in the Peruvian Amazon. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;8(12):1484-91. PMID: 15636496; PMCID: 2912521.
- Baldwin MR and Wunsch H. (2014) Mortality after critical illness. In: Stevens RD, Hart N, and Herridge M (Eds). The legacy of critical illness: A textbook of post-ICU medicine (pp 18-38). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Baldwin MR. Measuring and predicting long-term outcomes in older survivors of critical illness. Minerva Anestesiol. 2014 Jun 13. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24923682; PMCID – Journal In Process.
- Baldwin MR and Wanner TJ. Part IV: Rapid References in The Osler Medical Handbook, 2nd Ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier, 2005, 1007-1016.