Madhavi Parekh, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center
Dr. Parekh is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine. She received both her B.A. and M.D. degrees from Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, as part of the 8-year Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME). She completed her residency in Internal Medicine, and fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, at Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Parekh is dedicated to providing excellent care to patients with pulmonary disease and critical care needs. Her clinical interests include pulmonary diseases, critical care, and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). Her research is focused on non-communicable pulmonary disease in the developing world, notably the effect of air pollution on the development of chronic lung diseases and lung cancer. She has ongoing research projects in rural Ghana and urban Ethiopia.
Education and Training
- B.A. in Community Health, Biology, Brown University,Providence, RI 2003
- Medical School:
- Albert Medical School,Brown University, Providence, RI 2007
- Internal Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2007-2010
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, UColumbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, 2010-2013
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2003 Magna Cum Laude,Brown University
- 2003 Honors in Community Health,Brown University
- 2003 Espirit de Corps Award,Excellence in Community Health, Brown University
- 2005 Research Assistantship Award, Alpert Medical School,Brown University
- 2007 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2010 American Thoracic Society
- 2010 American College of Chest Physicians
- 2012 Society of Critical Care Medicine
Other Experience and Professional Membership
To initiate a transfer request, physicians should call 1-800-NYP-STAT which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Non-communicable pulmonary disease in the developing world
- Respiratory effects of indoor air pollution
- Critical care in resource-poor settings
- International medicine
- 2013-2014 NHLBI T32 Columbia University Training Program in Lung Science
- Parekh, MJ, and NW Schluger. “Treatment of Latent TB Infection.” Therapeutic Advances in Respiratory Disease. 2013:1-6.
- Parekh, MJ, and NW Schluger. "Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Infections in Older Patients." Aging and Lung Disease. Ed. Margaret Pisani. New York: Springer, 2012. 189-99. Print.