Larry Schulman, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Medicine
Education and Training
- B.A. from Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1970-1974
- Medical School:
- State University of New York Downstate, 1974-1978
- Internal Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 1978-1979
- Internal Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, 1979-1981
- Clinical Pulmonary Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, 1981-1982
- Visiting in Pulmonary Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, 1982-1983
- Parker B. Francis Research Fellow in Pulmonary Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY 1983-1986
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1974 Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Distinction in all subjects, Cornell University
- 1978 Alpha Omega Alpha, Cum Laude, SUNY-Downstate
- 1987 Winthrop-Breon/American College of Chest Physicians, Young Scholar Award
- 1983-1986 Parker B. Francis, Research Fellowship of the Puritan-Bennett Foundation
- 2003 William H. Dock Master Teacher Award
Herbert Irving Pavilion
161 Ft. Washington Ave, Suite 312
New York, NY 10032
P: (212) 305-5346
F: (212) 342-5647
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Lung Transplantation
- General Pulmonary Disease
- Breathing disorders
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 1981
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 1984
- Critical Care Medicine Diplomate, 1987
- Garfein ES, McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Schulman LL. Deleterious effects of telescoped bronchial anastomosis in single and bilateral lung transplantation. Ann Transplant 2000,5:5-11.
- Schulman LL, Htun T, Staniloae C, McGregor C, Austin JHM. Pulmonary nodules and masses after lung and heart-lung transplantation. J Thorac Imaging 2000,15: 173-179.
- Schulman LL, Weinberg, AD,. McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Smith CR. Influence of lung injury on early postoperative survival after lung transplantation. Ann Transplant 2000,5:20-25.
- Garfein ES, Ginsberg M, Gorenstein L, McGregor CC, Schulman LL. Superiority of end-to-end telescoped bronchial anastomosis in single lung transplantation for pulmonary emphysema. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2001 121: 149-154.
- Schulman LL, Weinberg AD, McGregor C, Suciu-Foca N,ltescu S. Influence of donor and recipient HLA locus mismatching on development of obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001, 163:437442.
- Imai K, Dalal SS, Chen ES, Downey R, Schulman LL, Ginsburg M, D'Armiento J. Human collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase-I) expression in the lungs of patients with emphysema. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001, 163:786-791.
- Schulman LL. Anandarangam T, Leibowitz OW, DiTullio, MR, McGregor CC, Galantowicz ME, Homma S. Four-year prospective study of pulmonary venous thrombosis after lung transplantation. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2001,14:806-812.
- Talbot SM, Taub RN, Keohan ML, Edwards N, Galantowicz ME, Schulman LL. Combined heart and lung transplantation for unresectable primary cardiac sarcomas. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2002, 124: 1145-1148.
- Irnai K, Mercer BA, Schulman LL, Sonett JR. D'Armiento JM. Correlation of lung surface area to apoptosis and proliferation in human emphysema. Eur Respir J. 2005, 25(2):250-258.
- Maurer MS, Raina A, Hesdorffer C, Bijou R. Colombo P, Deng M. Drusin R, Haythe J. Horn E. Lee SH. Marboe C. Naka Y, Schulman L. Scully B, Shapiro P, Prager K, Radhakrishnan J, Restaino S. Mancini D. Transplantation using extended-donor criteria organs for systemic amyloidosis complicated by heart failure. Transplantation 2007. 15;83(5):539-4.
*Please see CV for complete list of publications