Daniel Brodie, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center
Director, Medical Intensive Care Units and Medical Critical Care Service
Director, Medical ECMO Program
Co-Director, Center for Acute Respiratory Failure
Vice Chair for Special Projects, Department of Medicine
Associate Chief, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, & Critical Care Medicine
Dr. Brodie's CV
Daniel Brodie is Director of the Medical ICUs and the Medical Critical Care Service at the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons and the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. He is also the Co-Director of the Center for Acute Respiratory Failure and the Director of the Medical ECMO Program, one of the largest ECMO programs in the world for adult respiratory failure. He is the Executive Committee Chairman for the International ECMO Network (ECMONet), an organization dedicated to fostering high quality research in the field of ECMO. He is a co-primary investigator or investigator for multiple ongoing studies in ECMO including international, randomized controlled trials. Dr. Brodie is also on the Steering Committee of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization.
Education and Training
- B.A. in History, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1987-1991
- Medical School:
- Cornell University Medical College, NY NY, 1995-1999
- Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 1999-2000
- Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, 2000-2002
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY 2003-2006
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1991 Magna Cum Laude, University of Pennsylvania
- 1999 Alpha Omega Alpha, Cornell University Medical College
- 2002 The Daniel Baker, Jr. Memorial Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Osler Medical Service
- 2004 Medical House Staff Teaching Award for Fellows
- 2004-2005 Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Foundation Fellowship for Pulmonary Research
- 2005-2006 Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Foundation Fellowship for Pulmonary Research
- 2007 Medical House Staff Teaching Award for Faculty
- 2008 The Daniel V. Kimberg Memorial Junior Faculty Teaching Award
- 2009-2012 The Ewig Clinical Education Award, three-year award
- 2011 Excellence in Pharmacy Advocate Award
- 2012 Patient Centered Care Physician Champion Award, New York-Presbyterian Hospital
Other Experience and Professional Membership
Chair, Executive Committee, International ECMO Network (ECMONet)
Steering Committee, Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
Past Chair, Protocols Committee of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Steering Committee
Editor, International Consensus Guidelines Initiative, Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
American Thoracic Society
American College of Chest Physicians
Society of Critical Care Medicine
European Society of Intensive Care Medicine
American Society for Artificial Internal Organs
Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
To initiate a transfer request, physicians should call 1-800-NYP-STAT which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- ECMO and Extracorporeal CO2 Removal
- Critical Care Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 2002
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 2005
- Critical Care Medicine Diplomate, 2006
- ECMO and extracorporeal CO2 removal for respiratory failure
- Long-term extracoporeal device support
- Acute Lung Injury
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Critical Care Outcomes
- Abrams D, Baldwin MR, Champion M, Agerstrand C, Eisenberger A, Bacchetta M, Brodie D. Thrombocytopenia and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in adults with acute respiratory failure: a cohort study. Intensive Care Med 2016;42:844-52.
- Karagiannidis C, Brodie D, Strassmann S, Stoelben E, Philipp A, Bein T, Muller T, Windisch W. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: evolving epidemiology and mortality. Intensive Care Med 2016;42:889-96.
- Brodie D, Guerin C. Rescue therapy for refractory ARDS should be offered early: no. Intensive Care Med 2015;41:926-9.
- Position paper for the organization of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation programs for acute respiratory failure in adult patients. Combes A, Brodie D, Bartlett R, Brochard L, Brower R, Conrad S, De Backer D, Fan E, Ferguson N, Fortenberry J, Fraser J, Gattinoni L, MacLaren G, Lynch W, Mercat A, Mueller T, Ogino M, Peek G, Pellegrino V, Pesenti A, Ranieri M, Slutsky A, Vuylsteke A. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2014; July 25 epub.
- Reis Miranda D, van Thiel R, Brodie D, Bakker J. Right ventricular unloading after initiation of veno-venous extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015;191:346-8.
- Abrams D, Combes A, Brodie D. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in cardiopulmonary disease in adults. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014;63:2769-2778.
- Abrams D, Prager K, Blinderman C, Burkart K, Brodie D. Ethical Dilemmas Encountered with the Use of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Adults. Chest 2014;145:876-882.
- Abrams D, Javidfar J, Farrand E, Mongero L, Agerstrand C, Ryan P, Zemmel D, Galuskin K, Morrone T, Boerem P, Bacchetta M, Brodie D. Early Mobilization of Patients Receiving Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Critical Care 2014;18(2):R38
- Abrams D, Brenner K, Burkart K, Agerstrand C, Thomashow B, Bacchetta M, Brodie D. Pilot Study of Extracorporeal Carbon Dioxide Removal to Facilitate Extubation and Ambulation in COPD Exacerbations. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2013;10(4):307-314.
- Brodie D, Bacchetta M. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for ARDS in adults. New England Journal of Medicine 2011;365(20);1905-14.