Byron Thomashow, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Medicine Columbia University
Medical Director Jo-Ann LeBuhn Center for Chest Disease CUMC
Medical Co-director Lung reduction program in Emphysema CUMC
Dr Byron Thomashow is a Clinical Professor of Medicine Columbia University Medical Center and an Attending Physician at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He serves as medical director of the Jo-Ann LeBuhn Center for Chest Disease on the Columbia campus. He was a member of the executive committee of the medical board of the New York-Presbyterian Hospital for most of the last 10 years and chaired the Quality Care Committee for the Society of Practitioners of the Columbia University Medical Center. He presently chairs the Respiratory Disease Council of the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare Network and co-chairs the New York Presbyterian smoking cessation initiative. He helped found and is now chairman of the board of directors of the COPD Foundation. He is the co-chair for the NY State COPD Summit (June 2010) and co-chair of the COPD Coalition National Meeting. He was a member of the steering committee and the co-primary investigator at the Columbia site for the National Emphysema Treatment Trial and has been and remains actively involved in multiple national clinical research projects.
Education and Training
- B.A.,Columbia College, 1970
- Medical School:
- Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1974
- Roosevelt Hospital, 1974-1975
- Roosevelt Hospital, 1975-1976
- Chief Residency:
- Roosevelt Hospital, 1977-1978
- Senior Pulmonary Fellow, Harlem Hospital, 1978-1979
Selected Honors and Awards
- Fellow American College of Physicians
- 1991-2010 Fellow American College of Chest Physicians
- 2012 Best Doctors in New York -New York Magazine
- 1997-2010 The Best New York Metro Area Doctors-Castle, Connolly Guide
- 2001-2010 Best Doctors in America- Castle, Connolly Guide
- 1995-2009 Who's Who in the East -Marquis Publications
- 1996-2009 Who's Who in the World -Marquis Publications
- 1998-2009 Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare – Marquis Publications
- 1998-2010 Who's Who in America -Marquis Publications
- 2010 Who's Who in Science and Engineering – Marquis Publications
- 2008-2010 New York Super Doctors
- 2002 Alfred Markowitz Service Award Society of Practitioners CPMC
- 2003 Member Program Committee NIH National COPD Conference
- 2004 Columbia University Medical Center Medical Housestaff Teaching Award
- “2005 Man of Good Conscience Award” National Society of Women Psychiatrists
- 2006 Co-Chair COPD Foundation National Conference-COPD and Primary Care
- 2006 Establishment of Byron M Thomashow Clinical Professorship of Medicine Columbia University
- 2007 Co-Chair COPD Foundation National Conference- COPD 2007
- 2008 Co-Chair COPD Foundation National Conference- COPD 2008- cosponsored by 1199 Continuing Education Institute
- 2010 Co-Chair COPD Foundation Lung Health 2010 Conference-cosponsored by 1199
- 12/2007On-line expert New York Times: COPD- One of Six Great Killers Series
- 2008-2009 Columbia University Ewig Clinical Scholar
- 2008 Co-Chairman COPD Foundation Fund Raiser
- 2009 Co-Chairman COPD Foundation Fund raiser
- 2009-2010 Co-Chairman NY COPD Coalition-NY COPD Summit
- 2011 Co-Chairman U.S. COPD Coalition National Meeting
- 2010 Co-Chairman NewYork Presbtyerian Annual Gala
Herbert Irving Pavilion
161 Fort Washington Avenue, Suite 311
New York, NY 10032
P: (212) 305-5261
F: (212) 305-0412
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 1977
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 1980
Herbert Irving Pavilion, Third Floor
Columbia University Medical Center
166 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10034
Pat Jellen, MSN, RNC
P: (212) 305-1158
F: (212) 305-0412
- Lung volume reduction
- Exercise physiology
- Optical electronic plethymography
- Fan VS, Giardano ND, Blough DK, Kaplan RM, Ramsey SC and the NETT Research Group: Costs of pulmonary rehabilitation and predictors of adherence in the National Emphysema Treatment Trial. COPD:Journal Of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease; 5:105-116, 2008.
- Wasko GR, Fan VS, Ramsey SD, Mohsenifar Z, Martinez F, Make BJ for the National Emphysema Treatment Trial Research Group: The effect of lung volume reduction surgery on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations. Am J Respir Crit Care Med; 177:164-169, 2008.
- Washko GR, Criner GJ, Mohsenifar Z, Sciurba FC, Sharafkhaneh A, Make BJ, Hoffman Ea, Reilly JJ for the NETT Research Group: Computed tomographic-based quantification of emphysema and correlation to pulmonary function and mechanics. COPD-Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 5:177-186, 2008.
- Barr RG, Celli BR, Mannino DM, Petty T, Rennard SI, Sciurba FS, Stoller JK, Thomashow BM, Turino GW: Comorbidities in a National Sample of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. AM J Med; 122:348-355, 2009
- Benzo R, Farrell MH, Chang CC, Martinez FJ, Kaplan R, reilly J, Criner G, Wise R, Make B, Luketich J, Fishman AP, Sciurba FC for NETT Research Group. Integrating Health Status and survival Data. The Palliative Effect Of Lung Volume Reduction Surgery. Am J Respir Crit care Med 180:239-246, 2009.
- Criner GJ, Belt BS, Sternberg AL, Mosenifar Z, Make BJ, Utz JP, Sciurba FC for NETT Research Group. Effects of Lung Volume Reduction Surgery on Gas Exchange and Breathing pattern During Maximum exercise. CHEST 135:1268-1279, 2009.
- Toonkel R, Horn E, Pierson G, Borchuk A, Thomashow B: Sarcoidosis Associated Fibrosing Mediastinitis with Resultant Pulmonary Hypertension: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Respiration 79(4)341-345, 2010.
- Blough DK, Ramsey S, Sullivan SD, Yusen R, for the NETT Research Group: The impact of using different imputation methods for missing quality of life scores on the estimation of the cost-effectiveness of lung volume reduction surgery. Health Economics; 18:91-101, 2009.
- Yip NH, Yuen G, Lazar EL, Regan BK, Brinson M, Taylor B, George L, Karbowitz SR, Stumacher R, Schluger NW, Thomashow BM: Analysis of Hospitalizations for COPD Exacerbations: opportunities for Improving Care. COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease; 7, No 2, 85-92, 2010.
- Kim WJ, Silverman EK, Hoffman E, Criner G, Mosenifar Z, Sciurba FC, Make BJ, Carey V, Estepar RS, Diaz A, reilly JJ, Martinez FJ, Wasko GR and the NETT Reearch Group. CT Metrics of Airway Disease and Emphysema in severe COPD. CHEST 2009;136:396-404.
*Please see CV for complete list of publications