Byron Thomashow, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Medicine Columbia University
Medical Director Jo-Ann LeBuhn Center for Chest Disease CUMC
Medical Co-director Lung reduction program in Emphysema CUMC
Dr Byron Thomashow is a Professor of Medicine Columbia University Medical Center and an Attending Physician at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He serves as medical co-director of the Jo-Ann LeBuhn Center for Chest Disease on the Columbia campus and is medical director of the New York-Presbyterian Lung Volume Reduction program. He was a member of the executive committee of the medical board of the New York-Presbyterian Hospital for many years and chaired the Quality Care Committee for the Society of Practitioners of the Columbia University Medical Center. He presently chairs the Respiratory Disease Council of the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare Network and co-chairs the New York Presbyterian smoking cessation initiative. He helped found and is now chairman of the board of directors of the COPD Foundation. He is the co-chair for the NY State COPD Coalition, co-chaired the New York State COPD Summit in 2010, co-chaired COPD7 USA 2011 in Washington DC, COPD8USA 2013 in Chicago, and the COPD Foundation COPD Readmission Summit in October 2013. He was a member of the steering committee and the co-primary investigator at the Columbia site for the National Emphysema Treatment Trial and has been and remains actively involved in multiple national clinical research projects. He was awarded the 2013 ATS Public Advisory Roundtable Excellence Award.
Education and Training
- B.A.,Columbia College, 1970
- Medical School:
- Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1974
- Roosevelt Hospital, 1974-1975
- Roosevelt Hospital, 1975-1976
- Chief Residency:
- Roosevelt Hospital, 1977-1978
- Senior Pulmonary Fellow, Harlem Hospital, 1978-1979
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1991-2015 Best Doctors in New York – New York Magazine
- 1997-2015 The Best New York Metro Area Doctors – Castle Connolly Guide
- 2001-2015 Best Doctors in America – Castle Connolly Guide
- 1995-2013 Who’s Who in the East – Marquis Publications
- 1998-2010 Who’s Who in the World – Marquis Publications
- 1998-2010 Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare – Marquis Publications
- 1998-2015 Who’s Who in America – Marquis Publications
- 1998-2010 Who’s Who in Science and Engineering – Marquis Publications
- 2010 Who's Who in Science and Engineering – Marquis Publications
- 2002 Alfred Markowitz Service Award Society of Practitioners CPMC
- “2005 Man of Good Conscience Award” National Society of Women Psychiatrists
- 2006 Co-Chair COPD Foundation National Conference-COPD and Primary Care
- 2006 Establishment of Byron M Thomashow Clinical Professorship of Medicine Columbia University
- 2008 Columbia University Ewig Clinical Scholar
- 2008-2015 New York Super Doctors
- 2013 Recipient 2013 ATS Public Advisory Roundtable (PAR) Excellence Award
- 2014 Recipient 2014 Vitals Patients’ Choice Award
Herbert Irving Pavilion
161 Fort Washington Avenue, Suite 311
New York, NY 10032
P: (212) 305-5261
F: (212) 305-0412
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Internal Medicine Diplomate, 1977
- Pulmonary Disease Diplomate, 1980
Herbert Irving Pavilion, Third Floor
Columbia University Medical Center
166 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10034
Pat Jellen, MSN, RNC
P: (212) 305-1158
F: (212) 305-0412
- Lung volume reduction
- Exercise physiology
- Optical electronic plethymography
- Layton A, Garber C, Thomashow B, Gerardo R, Emmert-Aronson B, Armstrong H, Basner R, Jellen P, Bartels M. Exercise ventilator kinematics in endurance trained and untrained men and women. Repiraory Physiology and Neurobiology 2011. Doi;10.1015/ jresp.2011.06.009.
- Yawn B, Thomashow B. Management of Patients During and After Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: The Role of Primary Care Physicians. International Journal of General Medicine 2011:4;665-676.
- Shenkman M, Thomashow B, Walsh j. Estate Planning Ideas for Clients with Pulmonary Disease-COPD. Journal of Estate Planning. 2011;38:12;22-29.
- Nelson SB, LaVange LM, Nie Y, Walsh JW, Enright PL, Martinez FJ, Mannino DM, Thomashow BM. Questionnaires and pocket spirometers provide an alternative approach for COPD screening in the general population. CHEST. 2012; 142(2): 358-66.
- Ginsberg M, Thomashow B, Yip C, DiMango A, Maxfield R, Bartels M, Jellen P, Bulman W, Lederer D, Brogan F. Lung Volume Reduction Surgery Using the NETT Selection Criteria. Ann Thorac Surg 2011;91:1556-1561.
- Lederer D, Bartels M, Schluger N, Brogan F, Jellen P, Thomashow B, Kawut S. Sildenafil for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Randomized Crossover Trial COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2012; 9:268-275.
- Weingarten, J.A., D.J. Lederer, E. Ozturk, F. Milite, A.M. Mooney, B. Thomashow, and R.C. Basner. A comparison of single breath and re-breathe diffusing capacity in emphysema patients and controls. Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology 183;15-19, 2012.
- Armstrong H, Gonzalez-Costello J, Ulrich P, Ginsburg M, Layton A, Thomashow B, Bartels M. The Effect of Lung Volume Reduction Surgery on Chronotropic Incompetence. Respiratory Medicine DOI: 10.1016/j.rmed.2012.06.011.
- Layton A, Moran S, garber C, Armstrong H, Basner R, Thomashow B, Bartels M. Optoelectronic plethysmography compared to spirometry during maximal exercise. Respiratory Physiology Neurobiology 2012 in press
- Thirapatatarapomg W, Armstring HF, Thomashow BM, Bartels MN. Differences in gas exchange between severities of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology 2013; 186:81-86.