Amy D. Atkeson, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Atkeson, Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, is American Board of Internal Medicine certified in the specialties of internal medicine, pulmonary diseases, critical care medicine, and sleep medicine. An Alpha Omega Alpha graduate of Yale University School of Medicine and former Chief Medical Resident at Columbia University, she has focused her clinical and research interests on vascular disorders and quality of life measures in patients with obstructive sleep apnea, and on assessing efficacy of non-invasive ventilation in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). She has presented her research at numerous international research symposia, and has published research data, review articles and book chapters in numerous prestigious medical journals and textbooks.
Education and Training
- Yale University, MS 1995
- Medical School:
- Yale University School of Medicine, 2000
- Internal Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center
- Internal Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, 2000-2003
- Chief Residency:
- Internal Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, 2003-2004
- Sleep Medicine Fellowship/Research Fellowship, Columbia University Medical Center, 2007-2008
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship, Columbia University Medical Center, 2004-2007
Honors and Awards
2000 Alpha Omega Alpha, inducted
Cardiopulmonary Sleep & Ventilatory Disorders Center
630 W. 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
P: (212) 305-7591
F: (212) 342-4784
- Sleep Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Apnea
- Internal Medicine, Diplomate, 2003
- Pulmonary Disease, Diplomate, 2007
- Critical Care Medicine, Diplomate,2008
- Sleep Medicine, Diplomate, 2009
Lab Telephone: (212) 305-7591
- Vascular disorders and quality of life measures in patients with obstructive sleep apnea
- Assessing efficacy of non-invasive ventilation in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Stony Wold-Herbert Fund
- Will Rogers Institute of the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association
- Patient-ventilator asynchrony with nocturnal noninvasive ventilation in ALS. Atkeson AD, RoyChoudhury A, Harrington-Moroney G, Shah B, Mitsumoto H, Basner RC. Neurology. 2011 Aug 9;77(6):549-55.
- Endothelial function in obstructive sleep apnea. Atkeson A, Yeh SY, Malhotra A, Jelic S. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2009 Mar-Apr;51(5):351-62.
- Mechanisms of endothelial dysfunction in obstructive sleep apnea. Atkeson A, Jelic S. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2008;4(6):1327-35.
- Atkeson, A., and R.C. Basner. Quality of life in sleep apnea. In:J.C. Verster, S.R. Pandi-Perumal, D.L. Streiner (eds), Sleep and Quality of Life in Medical Illness: pp. 79-91, Humana Press, USA 2008.