Charles J. Campbell, M.D., chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology from 1974 to 1987 and the Harkness Professor Emeritus of Ophthalmology at P&S, died March 1 at age 80. He joined the Department of Ophthalmology after completion of his residency in 1957 and remained at Columbia for his entire career.
Dr. Campbell received his M.D. degree from George Washington University, earned a master’s in optics from the University of Rochester, completed a residency at the Harkness Eye Institute, and earned a doctor of medical science degree from Columbia. A pioneer in the use of lasers in eye care, he developed many optical instruments to diagnose and treat retinal problems. Dr. Campbell established a retina clinic in 1958 and in 1961 designed and used the first ruby laser delivery system capable of treating a variety of retinal problems that previously required invasive surgery. Dr. Campbell excelled as a clinician, surgeon, researcher, and teacher.
Henry Clay Frick II, M.D., P&S’44, died Feb. 9 at age 87. He was a professor emeritus of clinical obstetrics and gynecology and an oncologist. Dr. Frick came to Columbia in 1941 as a medical student after graduating from Princeton. He received his M.D. in 1944 and completed an internship at Presbyterian Hospital in 1945. He then served two years in the U.S. Army Medical Corps and was stationed in postwar Germany. After leaving the Army, Dr. Frick completed residencies at Sloane Hospital for Women and Memorial Hospital (now Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center). He was a member of Columbia’s obstetrics and gynecology faculty from 1955 until his retirement in 1985.
Dr. Frick was appointed professor emeritus in 1985 to recognize his extraordinary contributions to Columbia. His longstanding leadership as chairman of the P&S Class of 1944 ensured continuing support for the P&S Alumni Annual Fund. Dr. Frick received the P&S Alumni Association gold medal in 1999, in recognition of outstanding service.
David Sprinson, Ph.D., professor emeritus of biochemistry at P&S, where he was a faculty member for all of his long career, died on Feb. 28. He was 96. Dr. Sprinson was an integral member of a group of researchers who placed Columbia at the vanguard of biochemistry in the late 1940s and 1950s. Work by Dr. Sprinson and others to identify the precise chemical steps involved in the conversion of simple molecules to more complex structures has made possible the design of targeted drugs that block key enzymes in metabolic pathways as treatments for various diseases.
Dr. Sprinson was born in the Ukraine in 1910 and came to the United States in 1919 with his family. He earned a B.S. from City College in 1931, an M.S. from NYU in 1936 and a Ph.D. in 1946 from Columbia. He became a Columbia professor in 1958 and continued in that position until his retirement in 1978. He also served for several years as acting chairman of the Department of Biochemistry. Dr. Sprinson trained many graduate and postdoctoral students who now occupy positions in universities and research institutions throughout the world.