|Clockwise from top left:
A double reflecting microscope from Henry Baker's "The Microscope Made Easy" (London, 1743)
Surgery in progress at U.S. Army General Hospital No. 1, the Bronx, c.1918; from Yaskin's & Herrick's "History of U.S.A. General Hospital No. 1 (Columbia War Hospital)," 1919
The Constitution of the Moengo Society of P&S, 1955
The title page of Rudolph N. Schullinger's "Some Notes on Penicillin," Guy's Hospital Gazette, June 24, 1944Joe Wray.
Constitution of the Moengo Society and several reprints relating to research done by its members, 1951-1955 (4 items). The Moengo Society was an organization of P&S students, faculty, and alumni who had been at the Moengo Hospital of the Surinam Bauxite Company in Suriname, South America, to study topical medicine under P&S professor Harold Brown.
Additions to her papers, 1957-2005 (.5 cubic feet), documenting her career in pediatric oncology at Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital.
John N. Schullinger’55
Correspondence and printed and manuscript articles, 1942-1957, documenting the role of his father, Rudolph N. Schullinger’23, long-time P&S professor of surgery, in the clinical testing of penicillin while stationed at the U.S. Army General Hospital No. 2 located outside Oxford, England (16 items)
Allan G. Rosenfield’59
Typescript by Howard C. Taylor Jr.’24 of “History of the International Institute for the Study of Human Reproduction,” 1953-1968 (.5 cubic feet). Dr. Taylor, who founded the Institute in 1965 as an interdisciplinary center for the study of human reproduction, kept an almost daily account of his efforts to establish and then launch the Institute.
Gerald S. Golden’61
A copy of Robert J. Culverwell’s “Porneiopathology; a Popular Treatise on Venereal and other Diseases of the Male and Female Genital System; with Remarks on Impotence, Onanism, Sterility, Piles, and Gravel, and Prescriptions for their Treatment” (New York, 1849). Although the 1844 first edition of this work is relatively common, no other copy of the 1849 edition is held by a U.S. library.
A typescript history of U.S. Army Hospital No. 1, originally organized by Columbia University and called the Columbia War Hospital, 1919 (1 volume). Besides a complete history of the hospital from its opening in May 1917 to its closing in October 1919, the volume contains 20 photographs of hospital exteriors and interiors and scenes from operating rooms and wards.
Mervyn W. Susser, the Gertrude Sergievsky Professor Emeritus of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health
Papers documenting his distinguished career as a psychiatric epidemiologist and health activist, including correspondence, research files, lectures, and articles, 1966 2005 (37 cubic feet).
The family of Rustin McIntosh
Additions to the McIntosh papers, c.1930-c.1950 (.75 cubic feet). Materials include a diary of his 1930 European tour of pediatric hospitals, patient records, and correspondence with patients’ parents, 1930s-1940s.
The family of Gabriel Godman, late professor emeritus of pathology
11 titles, 1632-1974, from Dr. Godman’s library. Most are landmarks in the history of microbiology, including Henry Baker’s “The Microscope Made Easy” (London, 1743) and Abraham Trembley’s “Mèmoirs, pour Servir à L’Histoire d’un Genre de Polypes d’Eau Douce” (Leyden, 1744), though the most notable item is an early edition of Robert Burton’s psychiatric classic “The Anatomy of Melancholy” (Oxford, 1632).
Elliott Emerson Leuallen
“A Boy from Cape May Court House at Columbia University College of Pharmacy, 1948-1966” (published by the author, 2008). Leuallen, now in his 90s, wrote this memoir of his time as dean of the Columbia University College of Pharmacy, 1952-1966.
Department of Pathology & Cell Biology
15 volumes of Presbyterian Hospital autopsy records, 1872-1911, 1917-1919.