Glenda Garvey
The name Glenda Garvey has reverberated through the halls of P&S and the medical center for almost 40 years, ever since she entered P&S to study medicine in 1965. She didn't leave the medical center after graduating in 1969, and a new teaching academy will ensure that her legacy remains a permanent fixture in a Columbia medical education.
She died March 22, 2004, at age 61 after a long battle with colon cancer. She was professor of clinical medicine at the time of her death.
She served for many years as director of the hospital's medical intensive care unit. She built her significant legacy at the medical center in many ways. She was program director for the infectious disease fellowship from 1994 until stepping down in 2003 because of her illness. She served as interim chief of the Department of Medicine's infectious diseases division from 1994 to 1999. She directed the third-year medical clerkship program for students for 20 years and developed many other courses and electives for medical students.
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Wellesley College, she was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha in 1968. After receiving her M.D. degree in 1969, she completed residency training in internal medicine and fellowship training in infectious disease at Presbyterian Hospital — now New York-Presbyterian Hospital — then joined the Columbia faculty, rising through the ranks to become full professor in 1991.
She was honored for teaching many times. She was given the Distinguished Teacher Award by the graduating classes of 1976, 1985, 1998, and 2003; the Dean's Award for Distinguished Contribution to Teaching in 1988; the Medical House Staff Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching in 1988-89; the Charles W. Bohmfalk Award for clinical teaching in 1991; the Teacher of the Year Award by the Black and Latino Student Organization in 1994 and 1997; and the Columbia University Presidential Award for Outstanding Teaching in 1998.
Dr. Garvey was recognized five times with awards from the American Medical Women's Association. The Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center Society of Practitioners named her Practitioner of the Year in 1998, and the Society of Alumni of Presbyterian Hospital cited her as Distinguished Alumnus of the Year in 2003. At the May 2003 commencement, which she attended despite her illness, Dr. Gerald Fischbach, executive vice president and dean, announced the creation of the Glenda Garvey Academy of Medical Education, a fund which he said "...will honor great teaching as it seeks to develop new and exciting ways to educate young physicians. Glenda ... has trained medical students and residents in the scrupulous care of very sick patients. She has played a significant role at all levels of education at the medical school."
In an unpublished profile, Dr. Garvey expressed surprise at her multiple awards for teaching. "I think it's probably because I had so many wonderful role models and teachers that it doesn't occur to me that I could possibly be one of them. I had a trillion great teachers who inspired me to learn, to get excited about the information that was getting exchanged."
In the Winter 1999 issue of P&S Journal, Dr. Garvey was profiled as one of five great P&S teachers of the 1990s that future generations may recall as teachers who had an impact on the entire student body. Her role as a clinician was described as her most effective teaching tool. "You have gotten very good at taking your own pulse," Dr. Garvey would tell students beginning their third-year medicine clerkship. "Now it is time to take the patient's pulse. In medicine, it isn't about you. It's about the patient who is coming to you, hoping you can help them."
In a 1989 P&S Journal profile of Dr. Garvey, Dr. Robert Glickman, chairman of medicine at the time, said, "What she does well is to center her teaching around the patient — and she does so in sufficient detail to make it relevant and professional, so that the results of her teaching are carried out and put into practice."
At the same time, she said of herself: "I don't have any teaching tricks. All I do is try to help students learn to see the why of things, to pull the facts together and see how they connect with what's happening to the patient. What I think I try to teach is problem-solving. It's a question of organizing the material in a way that organizes your thoughts."
Invited to give the commencement address in 2002, Dr. Garvey spoke to the graduates about their imminent residency years. "These years offer the opportunity for self-definition. In this time, the resident learns those special skills he or she practices for a lifetime. Some residents choose to care for patients one at a time. Some choose to pursue the discovery of basic truths doing research at the bench or at the bedside. Some choose to stay at a medical center for the humbling privilege of teaching in an arena where the questions and the answers are always changing. Some make a difference to the underserved in under-resourced areas of the world, which includes part of our own country. And some choose to work on health policy, perhaps trying to jettison the corporate metaphor and finding a new metaphor that actually works.
"And though it takes a lifetime for the resident to become the doctor he or she wants to be, these years are truly the beginning of the process. Rather than being an overworked and overtired robot as some suggest, the resident learns the most valuable lesson of a doctor's life — what it means to be a human being in need and what it means to help."
Born in New York City on Feb. 20, 1943, Glenda Garvey was the daughter of two physicians — family practitioner Lillian Batlin and neurosurgeon Thomas Quincy Garvey Jr. Her grandfather, Thomas Quincy Garvey, was a general practitioner in Lancaster, Pa.
Dr. Garvey is survived by three doctors: her brother, Thomas Quincy Garvey III, a gastroenterologist in Rockville, Md.; her sister-in-law, Carol Wilson Garvey'69, a medical school classmate who has practiced family medicine and public health in Rockville, Md.; and her nephew, Thomas Quincy Garvey IV, a medical resident in Cambridge, Mass., who, like his aunt, plans to specialize in infectious diseases.
While at Wellesley, she majored in English and American literature and wrote her thesis on physician-poet William Carlos Williams. Although originally planning to write children's books as a career, she ultimately decided to enter medicine and took a postbaccalaureate year at Barnard College to prepare for medical school.
A funeral mass was held March 26. A memorial service at the medical center is planned for May 17.
Contributions in Dr. Garvey's memory may be made to the Glenda Garvey Academy of Medical Education, CUMC Office of Development, 630 W. 168th St., P&S Box 48, New York, NY 10032. Checks should be made payable to Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.

Edmund N. Goodman, M.D.
Dr. Edmund N. Goodman, retired associate clinical professor of surgery and 1933 P&S graduate, died of cancer Dec. 9, 2003, at age 95.
Dr. Goodman was a pioneer in the study of the autonomic nervous system. He co-developed the electrogastrogram — a painless test that measures the activity of the stomach nerves before and after eating — at Cambridge University in the 1930s. He retired from Columbia in 1982. His patients included such notables as Eleanor Roosevelt and Vladimir Horowitz.

Ruth Guttmann, M.D.
Dr. Ruth Guttmann, professor emeritus of radiology, died in October 2003 at age 93. Dr. Guttmann was on the faculty of the Department of Radiology from 1953 until her retirement in 1976. She was director of radiotherapy and nuclear medicine at the Delafield Hospital until 1976.
A member of the Columbia-Presbyterian Health Sciences Advisory Council, she established the Thomas S. Zimmer Professorship of Reconstructive Surgery at Columbia to honor her husband, a pioneer in the field, and the George Guttmann Professorship Fund to honor her father, an oral surgeon. The fund will be used to create the George Guttmann Professorship of Craniofacial Surgery at the School of Dental and Oral Surgery.

Richard Lambert Masland, M.D.
Dr. Richard Lambert Masland, the H. Houston Merritt Professor Emeritus
of Neurology, died Dec. 19, 2003, of pneumonia at age 93. Dr. Masland was chairman of the Department of Neurology at P&S from 1968 through 1973. He came to Columbia after serving as director of the National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Blindness of the NIH. In that
position, he was part of a team that crafted the merit-based peer review system that has become the foundation of medical research in the
United States.
Dr. Masland is best known for leading the National Collaborative Perinatal Project, a nationwide study of pregnancy and child development, while at the NIH. The project generated hundreds of scientific articles and produced major findings, such as the danger of smoking during pregnancy and the link between the Rubella virus and mental retardation.

George R. Merriam, M.D.
Dr. George R. Merriam, professor emeritus of clinical ophthalmology, died in early January at age 90. Dr. Merriam's research focused on retinoblastoma, an eye cancer. He tried to find the lowest amount of radiation necessary to destroy the tumor without harming the eye. In the 1960s, Dr. Merriam was a consultant to NASA on the possible effects of ion radiation on astronauts. He was a 1941 P&S graduate.

Equinn William Munnell, M.D.
Dr. Equinn William Munnell, professor emeritus of clinical obstetrics and gynecology, died Jan. 21, 2004, at age 90. Dr. Munnell joined Columbia in 1946 and extensively researched and lectured on the diagnosis and treatment of ovarian cancer. He was past president of the New York Obstetrical Society, Sloane Alumni Society, and New York Medical Society.

Landrum Brewer Shettles, M.D.
Dr. Landrum Brewer Shettles, who was among the first researchers to conduct experiments in the field of fertilization, died Feb. 6, 2003, at age 93. Dr. Shettles was a resident at Sloane Hospital for Women from 1947 to 1951 and a faculty member in obstetrics and gynecology at P&S until 1973. He co-authored a book, "How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby," first published in 1970, which has sold more than 1 million copies.
Working with a colleague at Cornell, he attempted to create the first baby born from in vitro fertilization. The 1973 attempt was stopped by Columbia officials, who, according to the New York Times, "accused Dr. Shettles of ignoring acknowledged guidelines for human experiments and acting in an unsafe and unethical manner." Dr. Shettles left Columbia, but the incident led to a lawsuit against Columbia-Presbyterian filed by the couple who provided the egg and semen. During the lawsuit's trial, the first "test tube baby" was born in England.

Raymond B. Strauss, M.D./Ph.D., associate clinical professor of otolaryngology/head and neck surgery, died Nov. 7, 2003.
Emil Wirostko, M.D., associate professor of clinical ophthalmology, died Jan. 5, 2003.


Class of 1926
Long belated word has been received of the death of HUBERT J. HINDES of Sacramento, Calif., in August 1985.

Class of 1930
The Alumni Office has been informed of the death of retired surgeon RICHARD C. PETERS in May 1985. Dr. Peters served in the U.S. Navy from 1942 to 1946. He had been chief of staff at the Muhlenberg Hospital in Plainfield, N.J. He is survived by a daughter, a son, and five grandchildren.

Class of 1933
EDMUND N. GOODMAN, a former member of the clinical faculty of surgery at P&S, died Dec. 9, 2003. Dr. Goodman served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. Affiliated with Presbyterian, Babies, Delafield, and Harlem hospitals, he was a former president of the New York State Surgical Society. Following his retirement from the practice of surgery, he concentrated on pain management, evolving a method based on topical injections of anesthetic agents into the sphenopalatine ganglion, achieving a 75 percent to 90 percent success rate in pain relief. He is survived by his wife, Marian, three daughters, and a son.

Class of 1934
Retired pulmonologist HERMAN R. NAYER died April 23, 2003. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Army during World War II. A former member of the clinical faculty of Mount Sinai Medical School, Dr. Nayer pursued a private medical practice in New York, where he maintained an affiliation with Beth Israel Medical Center. He was a past president of the New York Lung Association. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy, and two daughters.

Class of 1936
Retired allergist EUGENE J. LUIPPOLD died Aug. 22, 2003. Following his retirement to Vero Beach, Fla., he volunteered at the Hospice of Vero Beach. Serving in the U.S. Army during World War II, he participated in the landing at Omaha Beach on D-Day, helping to set up a field hospital there for wounded fliers. He is survived by three daughters and four grandchildren.

Class of 1938
Long belated word has been received of the Dec. 6, 1986, death of retired child psychiatrist AVRAM T. KAZAN. He had been affiliated with Sarasota Memorial Hospital in Sarasota, Fla. Dr. Kazan served in the U.S. Air Force. Survivors include two daughters and a son.

Class of 1938 MSD
NATHAN S. SCHLEZINGER, a retired neurologist, died March 23, 2001.

Class of 1940
GERTRUDE RUSACK SOBEL, a retired allergist and former member of the staff at Meadowbrook Hospital on Long Island, where she served for many years as director of the adult allergy clinic, died April 16, 2003. Dr. Sobel taught on the clinical faculty of the Health Science Center at SUNY Stony Brook. Of her satisfying career in medicine she once wrote on an alumni questionnaire: "In addition to my family, medicine has been the mainstay of my life. It is most important that women choose a vocation that is fulfilling and never give it up." She is survived by her husband, Jesse, a daughter, and two sons.
Retired internist AUBREY L. WHITEMORE died Sept. 30, 2003. Dr. Whitemore, a member of the American Academy of Allergy, pursued a private medical practice in New York City until retiring to Fort Myers, Fla. He is survived by his wife, Josephine.

Class of 1941
LEE GILLETTE, a retired general surgeon, died Sept. 4, 2003. Formerly affiliated with Roosevelt Hospital, he pursued a private surgical practice in New York City for 40 years, after which he retired to St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Survivors include his wife, Phyllis, three children, and five grandchildren.
GEORGE R. MERRIAM JR., professor emeritus of clinical ophthalmology at P&S and former director of the surgical service at the Edward S. Harkness Eye Institute, died Jan. 12, 2004, at the age of 90. An early pioneer in the linked disciplines of ophthalmology and radiology, Dr. Merriam directed landmark studies of the medical uses and potential hazardous effects of radiation of the eye. He served with the AUS-12th Evacuation Hospital during World War II and following the D-Day landing moved with the advancing front through France and Germany. He joined the staff of the Institute of Ophthalmology at Columbia-Presbyterian in 1949 and in 1978 was named professor of clinical ophthalmology at P&S. His life and work were intimately connected with Columbia-Presbyterian for nearly four decades. He was a loyal and generous alumnus and for many years a class chairman who put considerable personal charm to work for the medical school. A consultant to the Space Sciences Board and on NASA's Radiobiological Advisory Board, he also lent his expertise to the Apollo Program, studying the possible detrimental effects of radiation in space. He was an avid and experienced sailor, adept at celestial navigation, earning the rank of navigator of the U.S. Power Squadron. He is survived by his wife, Martha, two daughters, two sons, and several grandchildren. His son, Dr. John Merriam, is clinical professor of ophthalmology at P&S.

Class of 1942
LEO S. FISHEL died Sept. 27, 2003. A retired internist, he was a member of a successful group practice in Freeport, N.Y. Dr. Fishel served as a captain in the 88th Infantry Division Military Corps during World War II. He was a past president of the Nassau County Medical Society and, in his extra-medical life, a past president of the Freeport Public Library. He is survived by his wife, Anne, four daughters, three sons, and two grandchildren.
LEO S. LOOMIE, a former member of the faculty of the New York State Psychiatric Institute, died March 16, 2003. Having served in the U.S. Navy as a psychiatric consultant to the Western Pacific Fleet during World War II, he participated in the invasion of Okinawa. He is survived by two daughters, a son, and three grandchildren.

Class of 1943M
FRANCIS B. WARRICK, a retired internist who divided his career among private practice, public health, and industrial medicine, died Aug. 17, 2003. He served with the U.S. Naval Reserve from 1944 to 1946. An internist for many years on the active staff of Reid Memorial Hospital in Richmond, Ind., he served a term as president of the Wayne-Union County Medical Society. Following his retirement from private practice, he served for a time as a Wayne County, Ind., public health officer. Preceded in death by his first wife, Elizabeth, he is survived by his second wife, Clarice, a daughter, a son, and four grandchildren.

Class of 1943D
Retired internist and educator ALBERT I. DEFRIEZ died April 13, 2003. He served with the U.S. Air Force during World War II, stationed in Naples, Italy. A clinical associate in the Department of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, he taught and practiced at the New England Deaconess Hospital, which established an award to honor his service as director of the chief residents' clinical activities. In 1969 he took a month's leave to work with Care-Medico in Kabul, Afghanistan. He was a loyal and steadfast P&S alumnus. Survivors include his wife, Amy, three children, and four grandchildren.

Class of 1944
JOHN J. CRANLEY, a retired vascular surgeon, died Sept. 24, 2003. A former professor of surgery at the University of Cincinnati, he served for 24 years as director of the Department of Surgery at Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati, where the vascular laboratory was named for him. The author of four textbooks and more than 150 peer-reviewed articles, he is survived by his wife, Helen, four daughters, and four sons.

Class of 1948
Retired radiologist MARTIN DEFOREST SMITH JR. died May 27, 2003. He had been affiliated with St. Anthony Hospital in Denver, Colo., where he served for 25 years as chief of radiology then chief of the medical staff. Both his grandfather, George DeForest Smith, and father, Martin DeForest Smith Sr., attended P&S. He was preceded in death by his first two wives and is survived by his third wife, Geraldine, two daughters, two sons, and four grandchildren.

Class of 1950
STANLEY S. WEISS, a retired psychiatrist and former clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver, died July 10, 2003. He served with the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. After more than 45 years in private practice, he was honored as a life fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a recipient of the American Medical Association's Recognition Award in Continuing Medical Education with Special Commendation for Self-Directed Learning. He is survived by his wife, Marilyn, a daughter, two sons, and four grandchildren.

Class of 1952
MONROE E. ALENICK died of kidney failure April 19, 2002. A retired internist, Dr. Alenick had been a member of the clinical faculty at the University of California at San Francisco. His responsibilities there included screening and evaluating Russian emigre applicants. He was a past president of the San Francisco Society of Internal Medicine and chairman of the society's Ethics Committee. Dr. Alenick had been a member of the French Olympic Ski Team. Survivors include a daughter and a son.

Class of 1953
MILTON G. POTTER died unexpectedly of a thoracic aneurysm while attending his class reunion at Princeton Oct. 18, 2003. A former member of the clinical faculty in the Department of Obstetrics/Gynecology at SUNY Buffalo, Dr. Potter pursued a private practice and served as chief of gynecology/obstetrics at Millard Fillmore Hospital in Buffalo. Following partial retirement from active practice and teaching, Dr. Potter served as a ship's doctor on 76 voyages from 1992 to 2001. He is survived by his wife, Lorene, two daughters, and two sons.

Class of 1955
PAUL L. ADAMS, professor emeritus of psychiatry at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, died Oct. 14, 2003.
A specialist in child and adolescent psychiatry, Dr. Adams was the author of seven books on psychiatry and numerous articles, book chapters, and book reviews in his field. He earned a master's degree in sociology at Columbia before attending P&S. He also taught on the faculties of the University of Florida and the University of Tennessee. Outside of medicine, Dr. Adams had been active in the peace movement, with the Society of Friends and the American Civil Liberties Union. He leaves behind his wife, Janice, two daughters, one son, and three grandchildren.
NORMAN COBERT died April 5, 2002. A retired obstetrician/gynecologist, Dr. Cobert specialized in stress urine incontinence and pelvic cancer. He taught for 25 years on the clinical faculty at the University of San Francisco. He is survived by his wife, Helen, a daughter, and two sons.
Hematologist HARRIET S. GILBERT, professor of medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, died Oct. 8, 2003. Dr. Gilbert was the co-author of numerous papers in hematology. She was preceded in death by her husband, PAUL GILBERT'52. She is survived by a daughter and two sons.

Class of 1958
HERRICK C. RIDLON, a retired urologist and former member of the clinical faculty in surgery at the University of Connecticut at Farmington, died July 31, 2003. Dr. Ridlon had been affiliated with Hartford Hospital, where he served as director of urology and was honored as Outstanding Physician.
An avid amateur photographer, Dr. Ridlon exhibited his work in more than 400 national and international shows. Survivors include his wife, Mary, and a son.

| TOP |