P&S Journal: Spring 1997, Vol.17, No.2
Medicine's "Wall of Fame"
The Department of Medicine's new offices in the Presbyterian Hospital and P&S buildings may be new, but the hallways recall the department's past.
Among the framed photos in the halls are portraits of Department of Medicine chairmen, past and present, from Walter B. James, chairman from 1901 to 1909, to Myron L. Weisfeldt, chairman since 1991. Other chairmen shown are Theodore C. Janeway (1909-14), Warfield T. Longcope (1914-21), Walter W. Palmer (1921-47), Robert F. Loeb (1947-59), Stanley E. Bradley (1959-70), Henry Aranow (acting, 1970-71 and 1975), Charles A. Ragan Jr. (1971-75), Daniel Victor Kimberg (1976-78), Thomas Q. Morris (acting, 1978-82), Philip Felig (1980), Robert M. Glickman (1982-90), and John Lindenbaum (acting, 1990-91).
Samuel Bard, the founder of P&S, the first president of the school (1811-1821), and the namesake for the department chairman's endowed professorship, has a prominent position among the portraits, as does the legendary Dana W. Atchley, shown in 1958. The hallway also features vintage photos of the original Presbyterian Hospital bordered by Madison and Park avenues and 70th and 71st streets and a medicine ward there. A 1939 photo of Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center and group photos of the Department of Medicine faculty in 1947-48 and medical house staff in 1959-60 also are included.