PreviousUpNext SearchFeedback[help] CPMCnet

P&S Journal

P&S Journal: Winter 1996, Vol.16, No.1
In Memoriam


Howard G. Bruenn, M.D.

Howard G. Bruenn, M.D., consultant emeritus and retired chief of the Vanderbilt cardiac clinic, died July 29, 1995, at his summer home in Sorrento, Maine. He was 90 years old.

Dr. Bruenn, a cardiologist, grew to prominence as attending physician to President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the president's last year of life. Dr. Bruenn, chief of cardiology at Bethesda Naval Hospital during his Navy service, met the president during a routine physical exam and was later assigned to accompany the president as his attending physician. He served Roosevelt until the president's death from a cerebral hemorrhage in April 1945.

The Columbia College graduate earned his medical degree from Johns Hopkins in 1929 and interned at Boston City Hospital. He specialized in cardiology during a residency at CPMC. He married Dorothy Conner, a graduate nurse at Presbyterian Hospital, after opening a private practice.

As clinical professor of medicine, Dr. Bruenn was a renowned physician and author of many important articles on internal medicine and cardiology.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy, three children, and one grandchild.

Alan Yagoda, M.D.

Alan Yagoda, M.D., professor of clinical medicine and an international expert on urological cancer, died Aug. 19 at age 60.

Dr. Yagoda

His legacy as an oncologist who specialized in genito-urinary cancer research includes development of a four-drug chemotherapy treatment for metastatic bladder tumors that significantly reduced the cancer in two-thirds of patients. The treatment, known as M-VAC, became a standard therapy.

Dr. Yagoda graduated from the University of Vermont medical school. He joined P&S in 1991. He had been chief of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center's solid tumor service and also worked at Cornell and Yale medical schools.

Dr. Yagoda is survived by his wife, Jane, three children, and one grandchild.


Frederick G. Lehmann

Frederick G. Lehmann, deputy vice president for development for Columbia's Health Sciences Division, died Nov. 15, 1995, at his home. He was 65 and died after a long battle with cancer.

Mr. Lehmann was a pioneer in modern development strategies for universities. Since 1989 he created and conducted programs that attracted considerable financial support for the Health Sciences Division. Under his direction, resources generated for the Health Sciences increased from $28 million to $48 million annually.

Born in Hinsdale, Ill., Mr. Lehmann began his career in advancement with the alumni association of MIT, where he was educated as a chemical engineer. In his MIT alumni association position, he was responsible for an annual giving program that grew from $2.5 million to $4 million annually in the 1960s and 1970s.

Before joining Columbia University in 1989, he directed development programs at New York Medical College, Rockefeller University, and Boston University.


Stephen L. Bennett, M.D. , assistant professor of clinical psychiatry at Harlem Hospital, died Aug. 14, 1995.

Beatrice M. Fairchild, Ph.D. , senior research scientist at St. Luke's-Roosevelt, died Aug. 23, 1995.

William Goldfarb, M.D. , clinical professor emeritus of psychiatry, died May 30, 1995.

Aaron Karush, M.D. , professor emeritus of clinical psychiatry, died June 12, 1995.

Lionel Ovesey, M.D. , clinical professor emeritus of psychiatry, died May 21, 1995.

Ronnie Rosenberg, M.D. , assistant clinical professor of psychiatry, died in June 1995.


Class of 1926

Herman Slass, a general surgeon who had retired to Laguna Hills, Calif., died April 5. Dr. Slass interned at Mount Sinai and specialized in thyroid surgery. He is survived by his wife, Jeanne, and two daughters.

Class of 1927

Ethel Emerson Wortis, a past president of the Women's Medical Association of New York City, died July 10. An internist, she trained at Presbyterian and Bellevue hospitals and served as a visiting physician at Goldwater Memorial Hospital. Among Dr. Wortis' charitable and civic activities, she was a board member of the Association on American Indian Affairs and a member of the Friendly Visitors of the House of Detention. She is survived by two sons.

Class of 1931

H. William Gerdes of Mercer Island, Wash., died July 19. A general surgeon, Dr. Gerdes practiced in Queens Village before moving to Mattituck, N.Y., where he was chief of surgery at the Eastern Long Island Hospital. He is survived by two sons and five grandchildren.

Class of 1933

Retired surgeon Andrew McBride died June 17. Following his training at New York, Memorial, and Presbyterian hospitals, Dr. McBride pursued a solo general surgical practice in Paterson, N.J. He was a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. During World War II, Dr. McBride served overseas in the U.S. Army with the Roosevelt Hospital Evacuation Unit, attaining the rank of captain. He was a past president of the medical staff and chairman of surgery at St. Joseph's Hospital in Paterson. He was inducted as a Knight of St. Gregory by Bishop Radimer of the Paterson Diocese for his efforts on behalf of Catholic hospitals. Surviving him are a daughter and three sons....Morris Steinberg died Dec. 1, 1994. A practicing cardiologist, Dr. Steinberg was a member of the faculty of Mount Sinai Medical School. He also served as president of the Jacob Sachs Medical Foundation. He is survived by his wife, Evelyn.

Class of 1934

Howard G. Bruenn MSD died July 29 at age 90. See the faculty deaths in this section for more information....Albert H. Burr of Raleigh, N.C., died, date unknown. A retired urologist, Dr. Burr was a diplomate of the American Board of Urology. He trained at Fordham Hospital and served in the U.S. Army, earning the rank of major. He is survived by his daughter, Cathie.

Class of 1935

Eugene Field, a radiologist who retired to Tamarac, Fla., died May 3. He was affiliated with Margate and Bennett hospitals in Fort Lauderdale and served as a voluntary faculty member at the University of Miami Medical School. He is survived by a daughter....John V. Waller, a retired internist formerly affiliated with Lenox Hill Hospital, died June 6. Dr. Waller, an associate clinical professor of medicine at New York Medical College, was one of the founders and overseers of Growing Healthy, a health learning program he helped develop in New York City in an attempt to cope with rampant youth health problems. The group trained teachers to instruct good health habits by involving pupils as participants. The idea took off around the country and led to the creation of the National Center for Health Education. Dr. Waller insisted, "I don't believe we can influence behavior without encouraging self-esteem." Dr. Waller is survived by his wife, Julia, and son John, also a doctor.

Class of 1937

David J. Barry, a retired internist affiliated with Roosevelt Hospital, died in July. During World War II he served as captain in the Ninth Evacuation Hospital. He is survived by a son and two daughters....Timothy F. Crane died June 29. A surgeon in solo practice, Dr. Crane was affiliated with Mount Auburn, Sancta Maria, and Cambridge City hospitals in Massachusetts. During World War II he served as lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army in North Africa and Europe. Surviving him are his wife, Virginia, three daughters, and two sons.

Class of 1939

Word has been received of the death of Allan Kirkwood, date unknown. An internist in private practice in Auburn, N.Y., Dr. Kirkwood was affiliated with Auburn Memorial and Mercy hospitals. He is survived by his wife, Mary'39, a son, and a daughter.

Class of 1940

Robert R. Cadmus, a past president of the New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry, died Aug. 12 at age 81. Dr. Cadmus, who served as a flight surgeon with the Army Air Corps in World War II, trained in surgery at Presbyterian Hospital under Allen Whipple, though he subsequently pursued a career in health administration. He was the author of two books, one on hospitals and the other on aging. Surviving him are his wife, Lorna, a son and a daughter.

Class of 1941

Emerson H. Drake, a retired general and thoracic surgeon and clinical professor of surgery at the University of Vermont, died Aug. 22. Dr. Drake interned at St. Luke's Hospital and pursued a fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital. He was chief of the surgical service at the Maine Medical Center. He is survived by his wife, Nancy, a daughter, and three sons....Alan Foord died April 1. Following a general internship at New Haven Hospital, he pursued an M.P.H. degree at Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. He retired in 1983 following a long career as a teacher on the faculty of the School of Public Health at the University of California at Berkeley and as an administrator in public health, specializing in maternal and child health. Dr. Foord leaves behind his wife, Nancy, seven children, and 11 grandchildren.

Class of 1943M

John F. Friery, a retired internist from Teaneck, N.J., who found time to volunteer his services as an honorary police surgeon for the Bergenfield police force, died in July. Dr. Friery had been affiliated with Englewood Hospital.

Class of 1945

James B. Dealy Jr. , a radiologist affiliated with Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston, died June 27.

Class of 1948

Aaron Karush died June 12, 1995....Lionel Ovesey died May 21, 1995.

Class of 1951

Julian S. Kaiser, an internist who specialized in adolescent medicine, died April 22. Dr. Kaiser trained at Hartford Hospital and served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. Assistant professor of clinical medicine at the University of Connecticut, he also served as director of the Student Health Service there. He is survived by his wife, Mary, and three sons.

Class of 1955 PSY

William Goldfarb, a New York psychiatrist, died May 30 at age 80. Dr. Goldfarb was considered a pioneer in the study and treatment of childhood schizophrenia. He was affiliated, in various capacities, with the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services for 32 years. He is survived by his wife, Frances, a son, and two daughters.

Class of 1956

Thomas J. Moore, a pediatrician based in Plainfield, Vt., died, date unknown. Following his graduation from P&S, Dr. Moore earned a Ph.D. in cellular biology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He served as director of pediatric research at St. Luke's Hospital in New York and later moved to Vermont to pursue a solo pediatric practice. As a student at P&S, he sang with the P&S Bards, a student chorus. In his extra-medical life, Dr. Moore was a concert cellist who played with the Vermont Philharmonic. He was also an enthusiastic patron of the arts. He is survived by his wife, Celina, and two daughters.

Class of 1958

New York neurologist Maurice Charlton died Aug. 13. Dr. Charlton was an associate in neurology at Columbia's Neurological Institute. During World War II, he served with the Royal Navy.

copyright ©, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center

[Go to start of Document]