P&S Journal: Spring 1995, Vol.15, No.2
Class of 1930
Harold H. Snyder died July 10, 1994, at his retirement home in Winter Park, Fla. Dr. Snyder did his internship at Knickerbocker Hospital in New York and neurology residency at Brady Foundation Hospital, also in New York. He is survived by his wife, Martha, and two sons.
Class of 1931
Arthur Benjamin Robins , an expert in pulmonary tuberculosis, died in September 1994. Following an internship in medicine at Bellevue Hospital and in pathology at Presbyterian Hospital, he was chief resident of the chest service at Bellevue from 1933 to 1936. From 1947 to 1965, he was a director of New York City's Bureau of Tuberculosis Control, part of the city's Department of Health. During that time he promoted the use of isoniazid in the treatment of tuberculosis in children and was among the first in the country to establish a system for outpatient antibiotic treatment of TB patients leaving hospitals. He was clinical professor emeritus of preventive medicine at NYU School of Medicine and had served on the staff of Triboro and Queens hospitals. Dr. Robins also was a consultant to the United Nations and served with the U.S. Naval Reserve during World War II. He is survived by three daughters and a son.
Class of 1933
William E. Neff Jr. of Cheshire, Conn., died in February 1994. Before opening his office in Cheshire for the practice of internal medicine, he interned at Waterbury Hospital and did residencies at Greenwich Hospital. He saw active duty in World War II with the First Marine Division in Samoa, Guadalcanal, Australia, and New Guinea. Dr. Neff was also an avid philatelist, radio operator, and life member of the National Rifle Association. He is survived by his son, William. ... John H. Stauffer died July 2, 1994. A general surgeon, Dr. Stauffer trained at Brooklyn Hospital and Tufts medical school. He subsequently practiced general surgery in Hamilton, N.Y., with an affiliation at the Hamilton Community Hospital. Dr. Stauffer was living in retirement in Palm City, Fla., at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife, Patricia, and two sons, one of whom is Jon'86.
Class of 1936
Frank V. Sander Jr. died April 12, 1994. He did his internship and residency in general surgery at Presbyterian Hospital and had further training at Bradford General Hospital in Pennsylvania and at Highland Park General Hospital in Michigan. He subsequently opened a solo practice in general surgery at Highland Park General Hospital, where he was associate staff surgeon. He later moved to Rochester, Minn., where he was affiliated with the Olmsted Community Hospital. He is survived by his wife, Gee, and two sons.
Class of 1938
Arnaud R. LaPierre , a retired ophthalmologist, died July 13, 1994. Dr. LaPierre trained at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary in New York City before opening a practice in ophthalmology with his brother in Norwich, Conn. He served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy during World War II and was stationed for two and a half years on the USS Wichita in the Pacific. He is survived by his wife, Margaret, a son, and a daughter.... Shelby N. Lever died Sept. 3, 1994. A general practitioner specializing in industrial medicine, Dr. Lever practiced in Port Chester, N.Y. He is survived by his wife, Edythe, and two sons.
Class of 1940
Jean E. Henley of Richfield, Conn., died Aug. 19, 1994. An anesthesiologist with an appointment at Delafield Hospital, she was assistant professor of anesthesiology at P&S. She also volunteered her skills to the developing field of anesthesia in Germany and participated in several medical exchange programs with Russia. Dr. Henley is survived by her companion, Barbara Jones.
Class of 1941
Dallas Pratt , a psychiatrist with a practice in New York City, died May 20, 1994.
Class of 1942
Carter M. Alexander , a pathologist, died April 26, 1994. Dr. Alexander trained at Bellevue, NYU, and Goldwater hospitals and in 1973 became associate professor of pathology at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in Lubbock. He also served on the staff of Lubbock General Hospital. In 1982, he moved to Escondido, Calif., where he taught part time in the pathology department of the University of California School of Medicine in San Diego. He is survived by his wife, Una.... Orrin J. Van Dyk died Aug. 9, 1994. Following surgical residency training at the University of Colorado and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, he moved to Ithaca, where he practiced general surgery for 28 years before retiring in 1984. He also served with the 33rd Portable Surgical Hospital in the Asiatic Pacific Theater in World War II, attaining the rank of major. He is survived by his wife, Adrienne, and three daughters.
Class of 1944
George L. Curran died Nov. 8, 1994. Retired and living in Rhinebeck, N.Y., at the time of his death, Dr. Curran had been professor of medicine at P&S and attending physician at Presbyterian Hospital as well as chief of the medical service of the Francis Delafield Hospital. He is survived by his wife, Caro.
Class of 1948
Lawrence H. Warbasse Jr. died July 12, 1994. Dr. Warbasse did his residency training at St. Luke's, Goldwater, and Bellevue hospitals in New York City and at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Dr. Warbasse did a clinical fellowship in gastroenterology at the Massachusetts General Hospital and a research gastroenterology fellowship at Yale-New Haven Hospital. He then practiced internal medicine and gastroenterology in Detroit for many years and had been clinical assistant professor of medicine at the University of Michigan since 1975 and chief of the fourth medical division and attending staff physician at Henry Ford Hospital. Dr. Warbasse was chief of medicine with the 22nd Evacuation Hospital in Korea in 1952 and chief of general medicine at the Osaka Army General Hospital from 1953 to 1954. He is survived by his wife, Marion Babcock, a retired pediatrician, and four children.
Class of 1949 Psych
James P. Cattell died July 3, 1994. A Harvard Medical School graduate, Dr. Cattell spent three and a half years on psychiatric services of Army hospitals during World War II before entering Columbia for psychoanalytic training. He later joined the faculty of P&S. In 1975, he founded a 20-bed psychiatric service at the Berkshire Medical Center, where he specialized in family therapy. He also joined the faculty of the University of Massachusetts Medical School as associate clinical professor of psychiatry. He moved to San Diego in 1984 and was on the faculty of UCSD until retiring in 1993. Dr. Cattell is survived by his wife, Lillian, a daughter, and a son.
Class of 1950
J. Huston Westover of Concord, Mass., died July 2, 1994. After interning at the Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, N.Y., he had a practice in internal medicine and family practice in Concord, where he was affiliated with Emerson Hospital. He also was affiliated with the Rip Van Winkle Clinic, the Acton Medical Associates in Acton, and the Rutland (Vt.) Hospital and was on the faculty of Boston University medical school. During the 1950s Dr. Westover served as medical director of the United Mine Workers Hospital in Whitesburg, Ky., where he worked with the Frontier Working Service in Hyden Hospital, which rendered general nursing and midwife services for the people of the mountains. A Quaker, Dr. Westover was a conscientious objector and during World War II worked with the Friends Medical Society, spending time in India and Korea. Dr. Westover also was an accomplished photographer. He is survived by his wife, Jane, and two sons.
Class of 1955
Herbert McHak Nam died July 17, 1994. Following residency training at the Cincinnati General Hospital, the Cincinnati VA Hospital, and St. Francis Hospital in Honolulu, he opened his practice in general medicine in Honolulu. As the senior physician for the State Boxing Commission in Hawaii for 20 years, he was responsible for the health of all the fighters. He also served as a physician for the University of Hawaii's football and basketball teams. He is survived by his wife, Janice, two daughters, and a son.
Class of 1964
Eugene S. Mayer died Nov. 2, 1994. Dr. Mayer did his internship at Presbyterian Hospital before joining the Peace Corps, where he was chief staff physician in Ankara, Turkey. He spent an additional year at the Peace Corps' First Regional Medical Officer for West African Programs in Washington, D.C. In 1968 he was a resident in psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine and obtained his M.P.H. degree in medical care and epidemiology. Dr. Mayer joined the faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1971, where he became associate dean of the school of medicine, professor of family medicine and medicine, and adjunct professor of epidemiology in the School of Public Health. He is well-known for his work as director of the North Carolina Area Health Education Centers Program. This program, a partnership among the state's four academic medical centers, community hospitals, and health professionals across the state, serves as a national model for decentralized health sciences education. Dr. Mayer received the Bronze Medal on graduation from P&S and continued to serve his medical school throughout his career. Probably the most successful class representative in P&S history, he also was regional representative for North Carolina, organizing a very successful program there. He is survived by his wife, Jill, and a daughter.
Class of 1981
Juan Colón-Linares died in January 1994. He trained in obstetrics and gynecology at Baylor College of Medicine before opening his practice in Bradenton, Fla., where he was on the staff of Manatee Memorial Hospital. He is survived by his wife, Deborah, and four children.
Class of 1984
George R. Gewirtz died Aug. 19, 1994. He was assistant professor of psychiatry at P&S and director of research at Creedmoor Psychiatric Hospital, having trained at the New York State Psychiatric Institute. He received the Research Scientist Development Award from the NIH several years ago. Dr. Gewirtz is survived by his father and two brothers.
Class of 1988
Lynn Barre died July 19, 1994, of leukemia. Following an internship at Winthrop University Hospital in Mineola, N.Y., she moved to California, where she did a residency in neurology at UCSD and the VA Hospital at La Jolla. She also served as a patient aid coordinator for the Leukemia Society. She is survived by her husband, Ted Sledzinski, and a sister, Anne.