P&S Journal: Spring 1994, Vol.14, No.2
P & S News
Babies Hospital's Name Changes
Babies Hospital, the only children's hospital in Manhattan, has become "Babies & Children's Hospital of New York." The name change was effective Feb. 1.
"The new name more accurately reflects the comprehensive level of services we have provided to pediatric patients-from infancy through adolescence-for more than a century," says Dr. John M. Driscoll Jr., acting chairman of pediatrics.
The hospital was established in 1887 by five women who discovered that only 27 of New York City's 10,000 hospital beds were devoted to children under age 1. The hospital, the nation's first hospital devoted exclusively to the treatment of infants, now has 168 beds and provides care in nearly every pediatric subspecialty.
The hospital's historical achievements include the first successful pediatric heart transplant, development of the Apgar Score to assess the health of newborns, the first definition of cystic fibrosis, and the first diagnostic test for CF.
The hospital has the largest pediatric heart transplant program in the nation and the most active pediatric cardiac surgery program in the state. It was the first hospital in the mid-Atlantic region to provide radio frequency ablation therapy for young patients with intractable arrhythmias. It is the only provider in the tri-state area of ECMO (see Clinical Trials in this issue), and it has been recognized by NIH for excellence in the respiratory management of newborns. (A study of seven university-based hospitals showed Babies with the lowest rate of respiratory complications, averaging 7 percent compared with 20 percent to 40 percent at other hospitals.)
Babies has the region's only laparoscopic surgery exclusively for children. A state-of-the-art pediatric epilepsy monitoring unit, which opened last year, is the only unit exclusively for children in the tri-state area.