The Department of Pediatrics at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University invites applications from students in the College of Physicians and Surgeons for the Steve Miller Fellowship in Medical Education. This fellowship will support projects completed during elective rotations and/or summer months by students at any level in the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
The Miller Fellowship is intended to support research projects devoted to enhancing medical education or humanism in medicine from the medical student’s perspective. The Fellowship experience is intended to be completed under the supervision of a faculty mentor, and should focus broadly on the generation of scholarship in these domains. Scholarship can be broadly interpreted, and might include curriculum design, educational research, or intervention projects. Projects will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Originality of the proposed scholarship.
- Impact of the proposed work on the clinical experiences of medical students, with a particular focus on the development of humanism.
- Connection to other activities and/or research in the domain either at the students’ institution or at other sites.
- Institutional support for the project.
2017 Fellowship Awardees have been chosen and will present their work at Steve Miller Medical Education Day on October 25, 2017. 2018 Fellowship Awardees will be required to present the results of their work in a 15-minute presentation at the Annual Steve Miller Education Day in October of 2018.
Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- 3-page (maximum) description of the project to be undertaken, with a maximum of 10 references. Ensure that the proposal describes the connections between activities, outcomes, and impact.
- 250-word personal statement describing student’s interest in this area.
- Two letters of support from: a. faculty mentor for the project, b. dean of Students or designee
- Budget and budget justification (maximum $3,000)
- Curriculum vitae of student and mentor
Submit your application by email to email@example.com. Applications for 2017 are currently closed. Submit your application for 2018 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 9th. 2018 fellows will present their work at Steve Miller Medical Education Day in October of 2018.
Save the date for Wednesday, October 25, 2017, the next Steve Miller Medical Education Day, when fellows present their work.
2017 Fellowship Winners
- Stanislaw Gabryszewski (MD/PhD candidate)
Proposal: “Enhancing Nutrition Education in Medical School through Humanistic Approaches”
- Dua Hassan (P&S 2018)
Proposal: “Fighting for Equality in Healthcare: Addressing Health Disparities and Implicit Bias through Medical Education”
- Katrina Kostro (P&S 2020)
Proposal: “Meditation and Relaxation Skills Workshop for Medical Students, Patients, and Caregivers: A Shared Practice for Mindfulness, Empathy, and Mutual Healing”
- Dylan Marshall (P&S 2018)
Proposal entitled, “Emotional Intelligence: Fostering Relationships Essential to Making the Practice of Medicine Sustainably Meaningful, thus Preventing Medical Student Burnout”