This subspecialty is designed to prepare advanced practice nurses to provide informed and compassionate palliative and end of life care to patient and families across the lifespan and in a variety of settings.
Students completing this Subspecialty will:
* Recognize dynamic changes in population demographics, health care economics and services delivery that necessitate improvements in palliative and end of life care.
* Explore attitudes, feelings, values, and expectations about death and grief and the individual, cultural, and spiritual diversity existing in beliefs and traditions.
* Promote the provision of palliative and end of life care to the dying as active, desirable, and an integral component of care.
* Collaborate with interdisciplinary team members while implementing the nursing role in palliative and end of life care.
* Explore the experience of suffering, grief, loss, and bereavement for the patient and family.
* Communicate effectively and sensitively with the patient, family, and health care team about palliative and end of life issues.
* Understand legal and ethical principles in the analysis of complex issues and end of life car, recognizing the influence of personal values and professional codes.
* Assess multiple dimensions including physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs to improve quality at end of life.
* Demonstrate skill in the development of a plan for improved palliative and end of life care within a health care delivery system or in a community.
* Apply knowledge gained from palliative and end of life care research to education and care.
The Program Director of the Palliative and End of Life Care Nurse Practitioner sub-specialty is Penelope Buschman, MS, RN, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN.
|Course Number||Course Name||Credits|
|N8755||Introduction to Palliative and End of Life Care Throughout the Lifespan||3|
|N8756||Seminar in Palliative and End of Life Care||1|
|N8757||Clinical Practice in Palliative and End of Life Care||1|
The above information is current as of 01/13/2010 and is subject to change.