CUMC Privacy and Security Training
Training for the current period is online at: https://columbia.stridepoint.com. Please login with your Columbia UNI and password to take the two required courses. All current faculty, staff and students must complete the training courses ANNUALLY.
Access that is revoked due to a missed deadline will be automatically restored within 2 business days after training is successfully completed.
- New faculty, staff and/or students MUST complete the training within 30 days AND before receiving access to any information systems at the medical center.
- The expected completion date for the 2017 annual training is April 30, 2017.
- Failure to complete training within the prescribed time period will result in loss of access to information systems such as Columbia email, research and clinical information systems. In addition, your department administrator, chair and dean will be notified that you have failed to complete the training.
If you experience issues using or completing the training please:
For technical assistance contact the Service Desk at extension 5-HELP (212-305-4357), option 5, or email email@example.com. Please be able to provide any specific error message(s) you may receive when using the online training.
- Make sure you are using the correct link for training: https://columbia.stridepoint.com
- Make sure you are using your Columbia UNI account and its password to log in. This is the same login you would use for programs such as MyColumbia or Courseworks.
- If your web browser appears to stall or becomes unresponsive during training, try using an alternate browser (such as Chrome) as a quick work around:
- Rather than clicking a link to start the online training in your computer's default browser, open another browser from your computer's list of programs or apps.
- Manually type in or copy and paste the training link into the browser's address bar: https://columbia.stridepoint.com
General Training Information
The Columbia University HIPAA Covered Entity, which includes the Columbia University Medical Center, is governed by the HIPAA and HITECH regulations. As part of that governance, all members of the Covered Entity workforce must complete this training on an annual basis. Course content for 2017 has been updated to include current Privacy and Information Security regulations that govern Columbia, as well as additional information from related Columbia University policies.
This training is comprised of two modules:
- HIPAA Privacy
- Security Essentials CUMC
To access the Security Awareness Training modules, go to: https://columbia.stridepoint.com and log in with your Columbia UNI and password.
Security Essentials CUMC
Security breaches are caused by the loss or theft of computers and devices, accidental sharing of information and social engineering. It is important that we understand the full impact of a breach to the University (e.g., fines and lawsuits, public embarrassment, loss of valuable assets). This training will help:
- Define information security breaches, provide examples, explain their root cause and walk you through the steps to prevent them.
- Explain how to safely use computing devices, create strong passwords and protect information when traveling or working remotely.
- Explain how to use the CUMC Email system.
- Explain common threats, such as social engineering, phishing and account compromises.
The HIPAA Privacy Rule applies to the faculty, staff, and students within the covered entity of the University. This training module will provide information related to the Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”), including the definition of Protected Health Information (PHI). This training will:
- Provide information about the HIPAA Privacy requirements including information about the elements of the Privacy Program at the medical center.
- Review HIPAA Privacy related policies and procedures.
- Provide information about the Notice of Privacy Practices (NPP) which summarizes patient rights related to the access, use and disclosure of their information.
- Provide information about the Columbia Hybrid Entity designation.
| TOP |
Last updated 1/19/2017