| Calls to internal phone and fax numbers require all 7 digits. Internal 5 digit dialing is not available except for the emergency numbers listed below. Please see the Campus Dialing Plans for details.|
To transfer a call, forward a call, or use the conferencing features, please remember that you must dial a 7 digit number.|
For off-campus NYC calls dial:
9+1+area code+7 digit number
CUMC Telecommunications - Telephone Features and Instructions
The instructions below are for the CUMC campus NORTEL SL-100 Telecommunications system using Meridian multi-line phones.
Dialing and Hold Instructions
To call an internal number:
To call outside numbers:
- Pick up the phone's headset; you should hear a dial tone and see a black triangle near the bottom right of the phone pointing to the line you are using. If there is no dial tone, press a button to select your line.
- Dial the seven digit number (305-xxxx, 342-xxxx, etc.). The line should begin to ring.
- Hang up the headset when done.
To call internationally:
- For off-campus New York City calls dial
9 + 1 + area code + 7 digit number
Example: 9 + 1 + 212 + 555-1234
- Long distance calls require an authorization code.
Placing a call on hold
- Dial 9 + 011 + country code + city code + telephone number plus # sign
- While on the call, press the HOLD key.
If you are on a call and another comes in, press the flashing button to the lower right that indicates where second call is coming in. The first call will be automatically placed on hold.
- Press the same line's button again to return to the call and remove from hold.
Automatic Dial *
Allows you to dial a specific telephone number by pressing a feature key. Please note that only one extension can be stored per Auto Dial.
To store an Auto Dial number:
- Without lifting the handset, press AUTO DIAL. The associated diamond flashes.
- Dial the number.
- Press AUTO DIAL again.
To use Auto Dial:
- Access dial tone by lifting the handset or pressing an extension appearance key
- Press AUTO DIAL key and the stored number is dialed
Speed Call *
To store campus/internal phone numbers:
Allows you to store 10 telephone numbers and quickly call them using a one digit (0-9) code.
Repeat the above procedure to store additional numbers.
- Press the Speed Call key
- Enter the code (0-9), then the 7 digit campus phone number
- Press the Speed Call key again
* NOTE: Automatic Dial and Speed Call must be requested
Three way conferencing allows for the conferencing of 3 telephones: yourself and 2 others. It is available on the M2008 (8 button set) phone.
Six way conferencing allows for the conferencing of 6 telephones: yourself and 5 others. Six way conferencing is available on the M2616 (16 button set) phone.
Please note that on the M2008 the conference feature is combined with the transfer feature and is labeled: CONF/TRANS.
To set up a conference call:
Call Forwarding *If applicable
- While on a call, press the CONFERENCE button. The other party will be automatically placed on hold and you will hear a
- Dial the next number of the party to add to the conference.
- When the call is answered, you may talk privately with the party before joining into the conference.
- Press the CONFERENCE button again to join all callers.
- If necessary, repeat the procedure to include more parties in the conference.
Call forwarding from your current phone/extension can be invoked by one of two methods:
- Dialing *22 plus the 7 digit campus number
- Pressing the FORWARD key, dialing the(7 digit) number you want to forward to and press the FORWARD key again
Call forwarding can be cancelled by entering #22 or pressing the FORWARD key.
To display the number to which you are currently forwarding your calls:
- Press DISPLAY.
- Press FORWARD. The number is displayed.
When you are on an active call, you can identify a second incoming caller with the Display
feature. This feature differentiates between external and internal calls. For internal calls,
it also displays the caller's identity. To view the name/number of a second caller while a call
is in progress:
Displaying the caller's name/number does not interfere with the current call
- While on a call, you hear the tone of the second call. Press DISPLAY.
- Press the line key beside the flashing diamond.
- The caller's name/number is displayed in the
Last Number Redial
This allows for the automatic dialing of the last number called. You must first lift the handset or press the hands free key to get dial tone. Press the # key twice to redial last number.
Message *If applicable
Message automatically dials into the voice mail system. This feature is active only when there is a triangle, and the voice mail message waiting lamp is on. First lift the handset or press the handsfree key to obtain dial tone. Press the message key to dial.
This allows for the transferring of calls to another internal number. When you are on an active call, press the Transfer key, then dial the internal 7 digit number. You can remain on the line to announce the call transfer or press the release (RLS) key to complete the transfer.
Release disconnects a call or ends a feature operation. This is in lieu of hanging up the handset. Press the RLS key while on a call to release.
| TOP |