DatAnywhere File Sharing
DatAnywhere is an easy, secure way to share and transfer large files with others, without the need for VPN or a CUMC related account. Storage is on CUMC IT file servers, providing a back end that is compliant with policies covering all levels of data including ePHI and PII. We are happy to offer it as a secure, approved online file transfer solution similar to cloud services such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Use of DatAnywhere at CUMC is restricted to file sharing via the web portal. Data backups and any long term storage should be done using connected or mapped network drives; for ongoing collaboration please use SharePoint or network drives.
- When sharing files via any method it is the user's responsibility to ensure that the disclosure of data does not violate laws, regulations, or University requirements or procedures.
- DatAnywhere uses space on the department or division's P: (shared) network drive, however only the individual can view and use their DatAnywhere folder until granting access to others via the web portal.
- If the department does not already have a P: drive, it must be requested via the Add Network Drive Access form.
- Files stored in this folder count towards the total space used on the P: drive, due to this there may be a limit to your DatAnywhere transfer(s) and temporary storage. Please contact your Department Administrator for this information or if an increase is needed.
- Files can be any type, however individual file uploads cannot be larger than 2GB.
Please contact your Certified IT Group to request access; only staff in a Certified IT Group are able to submit the DatAnywhere request form via ServiceNow. Access will be attached to the person's existing MC domain (or CUMC email) account.
When access to DatAnywhere is granted, an empty folder that only you can view or use is created on network drive space. You will add items and then share them by sending links to others for download or upload of files. Step by step instructions are below this overview.
- Add items to your DatAnywhere space
For network drive access browse to P: > DatAnywhere > youruni. If you aren't automatically connected to your P: (department) drive see About Network Drives for help mapping the drive.
- Files - can be added by logging in to the web portal to upload files from a computer, or using normal network drive access.
- Folders - you can create a folder in the web portal, but to upload an entire folder and its contents please use your normal network drive access.
- Share files and space with others via the web portal
Using "Send Link" automatically emails the link and instructions to the address you've entered; the recipient clicks the link to log in, then receives a second email containing a secure PIN for the login session.
- Downloads - check the item you'd like to give access to and use the Send Link button to email any address.
- Uploads - check a folder and use the Send Link button to email any address. Only folders allow uploading.
- Manage files and shared links
- Both the web portal and network drive access allow you to download and upload items in your space; to delete items use network drive access.
- The web portal allows you to view and remove access to links you have shared.
- To avoid using additional space on your department's P: drive do not use your DatAnywhere folder for long term storage. Move or delete files regularly when not sharing.
Using the DatAnywhere Web Portal
- Go to https://dn.cumc.columbia.edu
- Login with your MC domain (or CUMC email) account and its password.
NOTE: If your forgot your password, use myPassword to reset it. If you enter the wrong password in the portal 5 consecutive times, DatAnywhere will lock the account and you must wait 30 minutes for it to unlock.
- Your home page will show a link to your department's Datanywhere folder under the Name heading; click on it to enter the folder.
- Click on the folder named DatAnywhere, then the folder labeled with your UNI; this is your default DatAnywhere space. If this is your first time using DatAnywhere it will be empty.
- The basics of using the web portal are:
- Create folders in your space by clicking the +New Folder button to the upper left, then following prompts to name and finish creating the folder.
- Add files by clicking the Upload button to the upper left. Use the computer browser window that appears to select files from your computer, then follow prompts to finish uploading.
NOTE: the web portal cannot be used to upload entire folders; to do this please use your normal network drive access. Simply access the DatAnywhere/youruni subfolder in the P: drive to copy, move or remove entire folders.
- Download items by checking the box to its left, then clicking the Download button that appears above the blue navigation bar.
- To navigate out of a folder, use the blue location bar above your list of items; do not use your browser's back button.
- When done using the web portal, click on your name in the upper right corner, then Log out from the drop down menu that appears.
Sharing files and space with others
You can share files and allow uploading in your DatAnywhere space by using the web portal to send a link to any email address.
The recipient will get an email with the link, instructions, and any personalized message you included. When they click the link in the email:
- Login to https://dn.cumc.columbia.edu and navigate to the file or folder you'd like to download.
- Select the file or folder you'd like to share by checking the box to its left, then click the (Send Link) icon above your list of items.
- If you need to share more than one file you can either send one link at a time, or create a folder containing only the files you want to share and send a link to the folder.
- To give someone access to upload you must select a folder you would like them to use.
- In the Send Link window that appears, type the email address of the desired recipient(s) in the To: field. To send to more than one person use a comma after each address.
- Choose other options including download or upload access:
Click to see a larger image
- Link Type: Private is not optional; this automatically generates and emails your recipients a secure PIN.
- Share Type defaults to a Download/view link which allows recipients to download the item. If you selected a folder you can choose Upload to let recipients add items.
NOTE: Recipients cannot delete or overwrite files in your space; if they attempt to upload an item with the same file name in the same location they will be prompted to rename it.
- Expires on defaults to seven days, if desired you can click the calendar icon to select a shorter expiration for the link. If the recipient needs access after the expiration date please follow the same steps to share with them again.
- Subject and Message fields can be edited to personalize the email DatAnywhere automatically sends with the link and instructions.
- When ready click the Send button in the lower left to share the item(s). Once you click Send, DatAnywhere automatically emails the recipients.
- Click OK in the "DatAnywhere - Shared link created successfully" window; the link that appears with the success message does not need to be copied or saved. You will not receive confirmation but can use the Shared Links button at the top of the web portal to see and manage links you have shared.
Every time a specific link to a shared file is clicked, a new PIN is generated and sent to the original recipient's email address. The most recent PIN must be used to open the shared file. As long as the link is not expired, the recipient can click the link in the message again to have a new PIN automatically emailed to them.
- Their web browser will open and prompt for a PIN to access the file(s)
- DatAnywhere detects that the link in the email was clicked and will automatically send a second email containing the PIN to the same recipient.
To view and manage links to files you have shared, click the Shared Links icon near the top of the web portal. Use the check box to the left of an item to access options including Remove the link, and click Workspaces at the top of the portal when done to return to the home page.
| TOP |