The Pharos Printing System
As of November 1st, Pharos at CUMC now offers:
The Pharos system manages printers, copiers and scanners located in many common areas of the CUMC campus. Six of the printers are multi function, and can provide copying and scanning services in addition to printing.
Anyone wanting to use Pharos must have the following:
In brief, you can print to Pharos by:
- A CUMC email/MC domain account - your page quota and initial login to the Pharos printers is tied to your CUMC email/MC (Medical Center domain) account.
A CUMC or Columbia ID card can also be used at any Pharos printer to access your account; the first time you tap your card at a reader it will require your MC login as well.
- A Pharos page quota - used to track the number of prints or copies made from Pharos printers. See Pharos Quotas below for full information.
See How to Use Pharos for detailed steps, or use links to the left for more help including configuring your own computer to print to Pharos.
- Send a print job from a computer that is connected to the Pharos print queue(s).
- Enter your MC username (typically your UNI) in the Pharos pop up window that appears on the computer.
- Go to any Pharos printer on campus and tap your ID card on its reader or login with your MC account.
- Select the print job(s) you'd like to print.
Student Semester Quota
Faculty Semester Quota
- Students must be enrolled in a CUMC program and taking classes at CUMC during the current semester to receive the quota.
- Active students receive unlimited black and white pages and 200 color pages.
- Pages that are not used by the end of the current semester do not roll over into the next period.
- Additional color pages can be purchased in increments of $1.00 at the cost of $.10 per page. All other purchased page details below apply for students adding to their quota.
- Faculty must have their main affiliation with CUMC and be instructing classes at CUMC during the current semester.
- Active faculty receive 1000 pages per semester, deducted at the same rate as purchased pages below.
- Faculty quotas are not automatically added each semester, please contact the Service Desk if needed.
- Faculty may purchase additional pages, all details under purchased pages below apply when adding to a faculty quota.
- Anyone with an active MC account can purchase pages to use with the CUMC Pharos printers at the CUMC IT Service Desk on Hammer 2nd Floor during our hours of operation.
- Pages are sold in increments of $1.00 only. Pages are deducted at print out:
- Black and white printers deduct $.10 per page, whether double or single sided.
- Color printers deduct $.50 per page, whether color ink is used or not.
- Unused pages expire at the end of the calendar year, regardless of when during the year they were purchased.
- Any pages purchased online via the CUIT (Morningside Campus Technical Support) web site can only be used on the Morningside campus through the PawPrint system. If you will not be printing at Morningside do not purchase pages this way!
Printing and copying are charged at the same rates. Scans are free to send as an attachment to any email address, see Copying and Scanning for full information.
Using Your Quota
Nothing is deducted from your quota until you log in to a Pharos printer and initiate the physical print job. The printer will display your Account Information as either pages or dollar amount remaining. Deductions are based on the individual account quota/type, please review information above if needed.
Black and white Pharos printers print double-sided by default from the public computers. To print single-sided you must select advanced options when you are first sending the print job (File - Print - Properties or Layout options). Color printers can only print single-sided.
If a print job jams, the printer should automatically re-print at the same location once the jam has been cleared. Contact the Service Desk if a printer jams and you need assistance.
All print jobs that you have not yet printed will remain in the Pharos queue under your account for 24 hours. After 24 hours, print jobs expire and are removed from the queue.
Please see the links in the left column of this page for more information about Pharos and other CUMC related printing services.
| TOP |