Configure your Macintosh Computer to Print to Pharos
IMPORTANT: The CUMC Pharos printing system was upgraded in December 2015. If your computer was set up to print using the old system be sure you uninstall Pharos completely before installing the current version.
Any Macintosh computer using Pharos prior to December 24th, 2015 must first uninstall the program, otherwise please skip to install instructions below.
When finished, there should be no CUMC/Pharos printers listed in your Printers and Scanners window. Continue with Installing Pharos instructions below to connect to the Pharos system.
- Select Go - Computer from your Finder menu's top toolbar.
- Select Macintosh HD, then browse to the Library - Application Support - Pharos - Utilities folder (if you can't find Pharos - Utilities, make sure you are not in the <username> - Library - Application Support folder).
- Double-click the Uninstaller program.
- In the Component Selection window, check off Pharos Popup and click Continue.
- Click Continue at the Component Summary window, and enter the Mac's administrator username and password when prompted.
- Pharos will uninstall and show a success message when finished; click Done.
- Open System Preferences (click the Apple icon in the upper left corner, then System Preferences from the drop down menu that appears).
- Select Printers & Scanners. In some versions of OS X this may appear as Print & Scan or Print & Fax.
- Look for CUMC B&W or CUMC Color in the list of Printers to the left.
- If neither are listed, close the Printers & Scanners window and continue with Installing Pharos instructions further below to connect to the upgraded Pharos system.
- If either are listed, click on the printer once to select it, then click the – minus sign to delete it. When prompted click Delete Printer, and repeat for the other printer if needed.
IMPORTANT: While we do not recommend upgrading or installing El Capitan yet, if your Mac is already running this version (OS X 10.11) please make sure it has all current OS updates before installing Pharos.
You must know the Administrator password for your Mac to install Pharos. If not, please contact your computer support to install Pharos for you.
To download and install Pharos:
- Click here to download the CUMC Pharos.dmg (installation) file for Macintosh.
NOTE: if you are using campus wireless, be sure you are connected to Athens. The file cannot be downloaded when using guest-net.
- If prompted, Save the file(s) to the desired location on your computer. It can be deleted once installation is completed.
- Double-click the CUMC Pharos.dmg file; a Finder window showing the Popup mount will appear.
- Double-click Popup.pkg.
- The Install Pharos Popup Client window will open. Select Continue to begin, then Continue again to pass the Read Me information.
- Make sure your Macintosh HD is selected as the installation destination, then click Install.
- When prompted type in the administrative password for your computer, then select Install Software.
- An installation was successful message will appear when done, select Close to finish. The Popup mount can be ejected from your computer.
- Verify that your Mac has the printers installed and updated: Open System Preferences (click the Apple icon in the upper left) and select Printers & Scanners.
- Both CUMC B&W and CUMC Color should appear in the left Printers list. Select one, then click Open Print Queue to the right. If prompted follow instructions to run the software install/update, then select the other CUMC printer to repeat.
- Close the Printers & Scanners window.
The Pharos printer queues will now be available when printing from your Mac, as CUMC B&W and CUMC Color.
Your Mac may have set a Pharos printer as your default after installation. To change this, open System Preferences and select Printers & Scanners, then change the Default Printer option near the bottom of the window.
| TOP |
Last updated 2/03/2016