Shared Mailboxes on Windows
See the main Shared Mailbox page for details on how to request access or use the mailbox with Web Outlook.
Instructions on this page are for CUMC email users with Outlook on Windows.
Opening a Shared Mailbox in Outlook on Windows
- Full Access on the Shared Mailbox can Open the Shared Mailbox in Outlook to view its messages, folders, calendar, etc. While Owners can create, edit and delete items in the account, they cannot send messages from its address unless they also have "Send As" access.
- Send As allows individuals to send from the shared mailbox's email address. They cannot open the mailbox or view its messages, calendar etc. unless they have also been added as a delegate or been granted full access.
Once you have been given Full Access to a Shared Mailbox in the CUMC email system, it should automatically appear in Outlook as a separate heading and set of folders below your individual CUMC email account.
If you don't see it and the Shared Mailbox was recently created, follow instructions to Update the Global Address Book in Outlook on your computer and restart Outlook.
Otherwise use the steps below to add the Shared Mailbox in Outlook. Keep in mind it will only work if you have already been given Full Access rights to the Shared Mailbox.
If you do not know the mailbox's name, please contact the person in your department who requested or manages the mailbox.
Send As From Outlook
- With Outlook open, right-click on the heading of your account (typically your full email address or name) in the leftmost folder list.
- Select Data File Properties... from the menu that appears.
- An Outlook Today window will open. Make sure the General tab at the top is selected, then click the Advanced button in the lower right.
- In the Microsoft Exchange window that appears, select the Advanced tab at the top, then the Add button to the right of the Open these additional mailboxes: field.
- An Add Mailbox window will open. Type in the name of the shared mailbox and click OK.
If the mailbox name is similar to others, you may see a Check Name window; simply click the correct mailbox name and then OK to continue.
- Outlook will attempt to connect to the shared mailbox, then show it in the Add Mailbox window. Click Apply in the lower right, then OK to close the Add Mailbox window.
- Click OK at the bottom of the Microsoft Exchange window to close it. The shared mailbox will be listed as a separate set of folders in the left, below your main CUMC email account.
The ability to send a message from a shared mailbox account is tied to your CUMC email account. Once you have been given Send As access, you can change the From field of a message to the shared mailbox's address in Outlook (below) or Web Outlook. IMPORTANT:
- You will not be able to open or otherwise use the mailbox unless you also have delegate or full access.
- A copy of the sent message will be stored in both your own Sent folder and the Shared Mailbox's Sent folder.
- Open Outlook for your CUMC email account.
- Begin a new message (select New Email in the upper left of Outlook's menu bar), and make sure you can see the From field. If not:
- Select the Options tab near the top of the message.
- Select the From icon in the Options toolbar.
- Click the From button towards the upper left of the message window, then Other Email Address... in the drop down menu that appears.
- A Send From Other E-mail Address window will appear. Type in the name of the Shared Mailbox, then click OK.
You will return to the message window, with the Shared Mailbox address showing in the From field. Compose and send the message as desired.
- If the name matches more than one address, a Check Names window will appear. Select the mailbox's name (if needed, click the Show More Names button at the bottom of the list to open and search the full CUMC Address Book), then click OK.
- Though other addresses show in the search results and can be added to the From field, the message cannot be sent if you do not already have Send As access for the mailbox account. An error will appear when you attempt to send.
Outlook will show addresses you've used on the computer in the From drop down menu, so they can be selected more quickly in the future.
If you don't want to see the address listed, simply click on the X to its right.
| TOP |