Set Up Outlook 2011 for Exchange
Outlook 2011 is part of the Microsoft Office Suite of programs that is free to current CUMC faculty, staff and students. It is the CUMC IT standard supported email client for Macintosh, and offers the best compatibility with CUMC's Exchange (@cumc.columbia.edu) email accounts.
While we realize many are used to their Mac's default Mail, Calendar/iCal and Contacts applications, they not supported due to known issues with Exchange noted at the bottom of this page.
If you are new to CUMC, before setting up Outlook please be sure that your account is active (try logging in to the Outlook Web App), that you have changed your password from any default/initial one that was provided to you, and that messages addressed to you @columbia.edu will be forwarded.
Configuring Your CUMC IT Exchange in Outlook 2011 for Mac
See the Using Outlook 2011 page for additional help and tutorials.
- Start Outlook 2011 (from the Finder window select Applications - Microsoft Office 2011 - Microsoft Outlook).
- If this is the first time you've opened Outlook, you'll see the Welcome screen. Select the Add Account button, then Exchange Account from the Accounts window.
- If there are no accounts configured in Outlook yet, select Exchange Account from the Accounts window.
- If you already have an account configured, select Tools from the top menu bar in Outlook, then Accounts... In the Accounts window that appears, select the + icon in the lower left and Exchange from the drop down menu.
- In the Enter your Exchange account information window, type in the following making sure to enter your own Columbia UNI instead of [uni]:
- E-mail address: [uni]@cumc.columbia.edu
- User name: mc\[uni]
- Password: the password for your CUMC IT Exchange account
- Make sure that Method is set to User Name and Password, and Configure automatically is checked as shown in the picture below.
- Click the Add Account button. The window will display a message that it is Detecting Exchange Server... and may take a minute or more to connect to the server.
- Once the Exchange server has been detected, you'll see your full name and Exchange account information in the Accounts window. Select the red button in the upper left corner of the window to close it and begin using Outlook.
- You will see your Inbox and other mail folders in the far left pane of the main Outlook screen, email messages that are in your Inbox or selected folder in the middle, and a preview of any selected item to the far right. To verify that you are fully connected, send yourself or a co-worker a test message and make sure it is properly received.
Why can't I use Mac Mail, Calendar/iCal and Contacts instead of Outlook 2011?
Due to known issues with these applications we cannot support their use with CUMC Exchange accounts:
- Shared mailboxes or shared subfolders user mailboxes may not connect or work properly.
- Events created or updated in your Calendar/iCal may not synchronize properly with Exchange.
- Shared calendars may not connect.
- Meetings in Exchange may save to the wrong calendar on your Mac.
- Delegated permissions for a mailbox or calendar may not provide the intended level of access.
- Mac Calendar may take ownership of an Exchange Meeting that you did not create.
| TOP |