Migration to Office 365 Email
In Summer 2017, CUMC email was migrated to Microsoft’s Office 365, a cloud-based solution that is compliant with CUMC requirements for the protection of sensitive data, including protected health information (PHI) and personally identifiable information (PII). Among the improvements is increased storage space; every user receives 50 GB of storage with the option to pay for additional storage.
Instructions for using CUMC email with Office 365 were updated, please see links to the left of this page for specific topics. Most features including Secure Email did not change.
Those with CUMC email accounts and Certified IT Groups were contacted as accounts were migrated to ensure any computers and mobile devices would continue to work with Office 365.
As of November 18th, 2017, network settings that are used for automatic discovery of the CUMC email system are being updated to only point to the Office 365 system. The vast majority of those using CUMC email will not notice any change. If you experience issues:
- Outlook 2016 and 2013 for Windows, and Outlook 2016 for Macintosh are the only email programs that are fully compatible with Office 365 email.
- Computers and mobile devices connecting to CUMC email need to verify that they are using correct login information:
- The username field is now your full CUMC email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) rather than the previous "MC\uni" format.
- Manually configured information in an email program or app should be removed so the program/app can automatically discover information such as the server setting.
- Restart any computers and mobile devices. Make sure you have completely turned off/powered down the computer or device, wait a minute or more, then turn it back on and open the email program used for your CUMC account. This should force it to look for updated settings needed to connect to your CUMC email.
- If restarting does not work, remove or delete your existing CUMC email "profile" in the app or program and set it up again using current instructions. This ensures that settings pointing to the old CUMC email system are removed.
The pages above include troubleshooting steps and links to set up a new email profile.
Office 365 Migration FAQs
Why am I getting so many login prompts after being migrated?
If you have access to a shared mailbox or another person's account (to help manage messages or a calendar), you will be prompted to enter your login credentials for each item you connect to.
For help reducing these and to verify that another issue is not causing the repeated prompts, please see post-migration instructions for the type of email program and computer or device that is giving repeated login prompts:
Why am I seeing a Focused Inbox?
This is a feature of Office 365 accounts on some versions of Outlook and Web Outlook, see more information on Microsoft's website including how to turn it off if preferred.
What should I do if my email program is prompting for a Server name, or other settings when I try to set it up?
The only information required to set up email in a program or app is your full CUMC email address and password. Other settings should not be entered manually, or there may be issues connecting if aspects of the email system change later on. If you are being prompted for other settings:
If none of the above work, please contact us or your Certified IT Group for further assistance.
- Make sure you are entering your FULL CUMC email address - email@example.com - in any username field, and using your CUMC email address password, which may be different than your Columbia UNI password. Log in to Web Outlook to verify it is correct.
- Check for a Domain field in the program or app settings, and make sure it is blank.
- If your CUMC email was set up prior to May 1st, 2017, you may need to remove it and set it up again using current instructions linked in the left column of this page.
- Make sure your computer or device has a strong Internet connection. You may want to exit the email program and open a web page to verify the connection.
- Make sure you are using a compatible email program. Others may not work with CUMC email and are not supported.
- Check for and install any updates to the email program or app.
- Restart the computer or mobile device, and make sure it has a strong Internet connection when it starts back up.
Where can I learn more about Office 365 and CUMC email?
If you use Outlook on a computer, information and tutorials on the Outlook on Windows or Outlook on Macintosh still apply. For Web Outlook select the question mark in the upper right after signing in to see or search for help topics, or see the Getting Started in Outlook on the web for Office 365 on Microsoft's website.
The Computer Training page has information on using Lynda.com for free through the Columbia University license. Once you sign, in look for Office 365 or Outlook topics to view video tutorials. The CUMC IT home page and Email at CUMC section of the website will be also updated as new information and features for Office 365 are rolled out.
| TOP |