Migration to a New Email System - Office 365
We are pleased to announce improvements to CUMC email in our move to Microsoft’s Office 365, a cloud-based solution that is compliant with CUMC requirements for the protection of sensitive data, including protected health information (PHI) and personally identifiable information (PII). Among the improvements is increased storage space; every user receives 50 GB of storage with the option to pay for additional storage.
Accounts are being moved in phases over Summer 2017 and are coordinated with CUMC schools, departments, and certified IT groups. Although the majority of current email programs and apps can continue to be used, some changes and updates to the programs may be required. Specific instructions are linked below and are sent directly to users in advance of migration of individual accounts.
Check your migration status
Unsure whether your CUMC email account has been moved to Office 365? Simply log in to the old version of Web Outlook at: https://mail.cumc.columbia.edu/owa.
- If you are taken to your Inbox and email open with no additional prompts, your account has not been migrated. Contact your Certified IT Group or call 5-Help, option 5 to request that your account be scheduled to move to Office 365.
- If you were already migrated a message to Use the following link... will appear after login. Simply click the link it to go to the Office 365 version and sign in with your full email address.
Review the During and After Migration page for help with any computer or mobile device issues if needed.
Availability and Changes
Prior to Migration
During all stages of the migration, email users can continue to access Web Outlook, https://mail.cumc.columbia.edu/owa, via web browsers. The migration will not affect your messages, folders, contacts, or other account information that is accessible when you are logged in to Web Outlook. Migration of shared resources, such as calendars or group mailboxes, is being coordinated with those using them to ensure a smooth transition. Secure Email also remains available and works in the same manner.
To prepare for the migration, anyone with a CUMC email address (@cumc.columbia.edu) should take the following steps as soon as possible:
- On any computer or mobile device that accesses your CUMC email account, update the “username” field to your full CUMC email address (the previous format was “MC\uni”). Please see full instructions for the type of computer or mobile device:
* Mobile device apps may not allow you to update the username field only. Due to this, the instructions include steps for removing the existing CUMC email account and setting it up again using your full CUMC email address for the username.
This may remove some app settings such as which items to synchronize, email signatures, and notifications, but they can be reconfigured.
- Verify that Outlook on your computer has all recent software updates installed and that you are using a current version:
Older versions are not fully compatible with Office 365. If you need to upgrade your version, please contact your CITG staff or see details on the Software Downloads page.
- Windows computers - Outlook must be version 2016 or 2013
- Macintosh computers - Outlook must be version 2016
- On both Windows and Macintosh computers you must also make sure all current Office Updates for the installed version of Outlook have been applied.
- If advanced settings such as a server or domain name were manually set in Outlook in order to connect to your CUMC email, you may need to remove the existing email profile from Outlook and set it up again:
See the main During and After Migration page for details.
CUMC certified IT groups have been trained to offer help with any issues or concerns. To request assistance please contact email@example.com or call extension 5-HELP (212-305-4357), option 5. To ensure a smooth transition, be sure to carefully review and respond as instructed to any communications about your account migration.
We realize that email is a critical resource for the CUMC community. Office 365 is a tested resource already in wide use at many educational and health care institutions, and we look forward to rolling out additional features soon.
| TOP |