Set Up an iPhone or iPad for CUMC Email
Setting up an iPhone or iPad to connect to your CUMC Exchange (@cumc.columbia.edu) email account will automatically enforce it to use a passcode lock and encryption as per University policy.
If your device is not already encrypted, backup its data before configuring email. See iOS: How to back up for instructions on backing up to your computer. If the backup contains sensitive data, make sure the computer storing the backup is also properly encrypted. Do not backup to iCloud as Apple does not have a Business Associate Agreement with CUMC to access or store sensitive data.
IMPORTANT: whenever you change or reset your password for your CUMC email (and/or MC computer login) account, first set your CUMC email-connected iPhone or iPad to Airplane mode or it may lock your account. See the Synchronize Passwords page for full information.
Devices running iOS 8 or higher can use the Outlook app, otherwise follow instructions immediately below to use the default Mail app on your iPhone or iPad.
Configure the Mail app for CUMC Email
- Make sure your device is connected to a cellular network (3G/4G etc.) or wifi other than guest-net, such as Athens or Mercury. Guest-net is limited and will not allow initial CUMC email set up.
- Select Settings from your device's home screen.
- Select Mail (or Mail, Contacts, Calendars), then Add Account.
- Select Exchange or Microsoft Exchange.
- Enter the following information:
If you are prompted for additional fields such as a domain or server, leave these blank. Make sure any Username field shows your full CUMC email address (rather than just your UNI).
- Email: email@example.com - use your actual Columbia UNI (ex: abc1234) instead of youruni
- Password: type in your CUMC email password
- Description: CUMC Exchange is recommended, though you can use any preferred description
- Tap Next in the upper right corner. The device will try to connect to the CUMC Exchange email server.
- A list of Exchange account items that can be synchronized on your device will appear. Move sliders to desired positions for your Mail, Contacts, etc. and tap Save in the upper right.
- Set your Mail days to sync option to your desired period of time.
- You may need to scroll to the bottom of the screen first, or exit Exchange and go back in to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendar - CUMC Exchange and tap Mail days to sync below the list of items.
- Be cautious when choosing No Limit, if the device doesn't have a sufficient amount of free disk space at any point your email delivery may fail.
- Exit Exchange; your iPhone or iPad will connect and display current messages in your Mail.
Configure the Outlook app for CUMC Email
If your iPhone or iPad is running iOS version 8 or higher, you can use the Outlook app instead of the default Mail app.
Icons at the bottom of the Outlook app let you switch other items in your CUMC email account such as your Calendar. Select Settings to adjust notifications, your signature on the device, etc., and view Help for additional instructions on using the Outlook app.
- Make sure your device is connected to a cellular network (4G/3G/LTE etc.) or wifi other than guest-net, such as Athens or Mercury. Initial set up of CUMC email won't work on guest-net!
- Open the Outlook app on your iDevice (download Outlook for iOS from the App store if it is not already installed). If this is the first time opening the app you may see a Get Started prompt; tap it to continue.
- At the next window type in your full CUMC email address (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org) and tap Add Account.
- At the Exchange window, make sure your full CUMC email address is listed, then type in its password. For Description, we recommend using CUMC Exchange.
- Tap the Sign In button when ready. The Outlook app will connect to your CUMC email account and display current messages.
NOTE: if there are initial issues connecting, the Outlook app may prompt for advanced settings such as the server and domain. Leave these blank; simply re-enter your password while verifying that your full CUMC email address appears in any Email and Username fields, then try to sign in again.
| TOP |