CUMC Home | Columbia University | Jobs at CUMC | Contact CUMC | Find People
For support: call extension 5-Help (212-305-4357) or email us
Student FAQs

Public Computers

Please see our Computing Areas page for general information about Public Computers, including locations and hours.

Can I use any of the computers in these areas?

Yes, you can use any of the computers if you're a student, faculty, or staff member.

Do any of the computers here have Internet access?

Yes, all of the public computers have Internet access.

Can I print from the Public Computers?

Yes, please see information on the campus printing system called Pharos page for details.

Where can I save large files?

You can use a USB key or burn DVDs on the systems in the library; discs and keys can also be purchased at the CUMC IT Service Desk on the 2nd floor of the library.

For larger files you can save them to your personal Student Network Drive, or in the Hammer Building public labs you can use the shared network folder, also known as the S: drive.
To save a file to a network drive:
  1. Verify that the computer is connected to the drive (you can see it in the computer's file Browser or Finder). For your Student Drive you may need to map to it first.
  2. Drag or copy the file to the drive, or with the file open, select File - Save As and select the desired drive when prompted.

Do the computers have disc burners?

All computers in the Computing Areas have disc burning capabilities.

How do I save files to a CD?

On a PC:

  1. Insert a writable CD into the CD drive.
  2. Open the "My Computer" icon on the desktop, and then select the files or folders that you want to save to the CD. To select more than one file, hold down the CTRL key while you select files.
  3. Select either "Copy this file", "Copy this folder", or "Copy the selected items" as appropriate.
  4. In the Copy Items box that comes up, click the CD drive, and then click Copy.
  5. In My Computer, double-click the CD recording drive. Check that the files and folders that you want to copy are displayed under "Files Ready to Be Written to the CD".
  6. Under CD Writing Tasks, select "Write to CD".
  7. Follow the instructions on the "CD Writing Wizard" that will come up.
  8. When the items have been copied, the wizard will ask if you'd like to create another CD like the one you just made - select the option you prefer.

On a Mac:

  1. Insert a writable CD into the CD drive (hit the eject button on the keyboard to open the drive).
  2. The CD will show up on the desktop. Drag any files you'd like to save on the CD to the CD icon.
  3. Choose File - Burn Disc when you are done dragging all the files you'd like to save to the CD.
  4. Drag the CD to the Trash on the dock or hit the Eject key on the keyboard to remove the disk.

After you have finished saving files to the CD be sure to open at least few of them to make sure they have copied properly!
Files saved on a Mac CD can normally be read on a PC and vice versa.

Can I listen to audio on the computers?

The systems do have sound cards. However, you will have to bring your own headphones.

How can I check a file or disk for viruses?

On a PC, right-click the file(s) or folder you want scanned, and then select Scan for viruses...
On a Mac, Select Go > Applications > Symantec Solutions > Symantec Endpoint Protection. In the Symantec window that appears, navigate to the disk or file you'd like to scan and select Scan.

What programs are on the computers in the Lab and Classrooms?

The computers have many standard programs on them including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access), SAS, SPSS, Adobe Acrobat, Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Please note that the computers in the Library Lobby are for reference use only and have just basic web browsing and online research programs installed. If you need to work on a paper or do more involved activities please use one of the computers in the Lounges or Labs.

Who is in charge of computer maintenance?

CUMC IT and the Service Desk have technicians on staff for maintenance of the public computers listed on our Computing Areas page. If you have questions or notice that a computer or printer needs maintenance, please visit the help desk on the 2nd Floor of the Hammer Building or call extension 5-Help (212-305-4357), option 5.

To whom can I make a complaint about the computers?

You can make complaints about the computers at the CUMC IT Service Desk on the 2nd floor of the library or email us at

| TOP |

Last updated 5/18/2017