|For support: call extension 5-Help (212-305-4357) or email us
Podium and Audio Visual Equipment Tutorial
Many locations on campus have a standard equipment set up and are referred to as an eRoom - see the complete list of rooms. Each eRoom contains:
The Crestron touch panel controls all of the equipment. To play DVDs or CDs, please insert the disc in the podium computer's disc drive and select PC when prompted on the touch panel.
- Data Projector
- Audio System
- Internet connected Windows 7 Computer (see the list of installed software for more details)
- HDMI cable to connect an HDMI enabled laptop*
- VGA with audio cable to connect to a VGA enabled laptop*
- Crestron Touch Panel
*Anyone connecting a Macintosh must bring their own adapter if the Mac does not have a standard HDMI or VGA port.
Instructions on this page walk you through using the Crestron touch panel control system. You can also use our PDF version of the same instructions to print a copy.
Starting the Crestron Touch Panel
- Some rooms in the Hammer Lower Levels and the VEC also offer Collaborative Classroom technology, please see the additional Quick Start guide (PDF) for locations and basic instructions.
- If you prefer to schedule training in a specific room, please email firstname.lastname@example.org well in advance of your event. Be sure to include:
Our Room List and Details page has information the equipment installed in each room.
- Your contact information
- The room you will be using
Always use the Crestron touch panel on top of the podium to control any connected Audio/Video source. Everything other than inserting and removing media such as discs and memory sticks must be done from the touch panel’s display. Manually adjusting equipment in the cabinet can cause problems or stop it from functioning altogether.
Touch Panel Instructions
Please do not remove the touch panel from the top of the podium; this can disconnect or damage the cables. If the touch panel screen is blank, it is in sleep mode. Simply press anywhere on the touch panel screen with your finger to wake it up.
PC (Podium Computer) Instructions
- Press anywhere on the panel to turn the system on.
- If the projector in the room is in sleep mode, you will see a Projector is Warming Up message on the touch panel. A 30 second timer count down will also appear to show when the projector is ready, please wait for this to complete.
- The projector will project an image on the classroom's screen, and a main control screen will appear on the touch panel itself:
- On the left side of the touch panel select the source you'd like to use:
- PC - to use the computer in the podium. This is also the source for DVD/CD playback or USB key files, simply insert your disc or connect your USB key to the computer.
- Laptop - to connect your own laptop to the room's projector and sound system using cables on the podium.
IMPORTANT: podium cables are standard HDMI and VGA only. If your laptop does not have standard ports you must bring your own adapter, we cannot provide these.
- Combine Rooms - only available in A/B classrooms that can be reserved to use both sides. The button will be in the lower left of the touch panel display, press it to power on both sides of the room and project from the same podium/audio visual equipment.
- After selecting your source, use icons displayed in the right of the touch panel for additional projection, sound and power control:
- Volume - speaker icons increase and decrease projector audio, with the speaker bar showing the current volume.
- Mute - to cut sound. When muted press again or press the volume up icon to restore sound.
- Blank Display - selecting this hides the projector image from displaying on the screen.
- OFF - When done, please select OFF on the touch panel display, then POWER OFF when prompted to power down the podium equipment.
- Always remember to power down A/V equipment using the touch panel when you are finished with the room.
Select the PC button in the left of the touch panel display to use the computer located in the podium cabinet. The computer’s screen will display on both the monitor sitting on top of the podium and on the classroom projector.
Use the PC as desired.
Laptop Instructions - Connecting your own laptop to the Podium
- The keyboard and mouse are on a sliding shelf in the top of the cabinet.
- To use a USB key, connect it to a USB input on the side of the podium computer. Follow any prompts that appear on the computer screen to access files that are on the USB key.
- For DVD/CD playback please insert your disc in the computer and select PC; the DVD/CD program on the PC can be used to control playback and other options.
- All podium computers delete files saved to them on reboot. Store any files you would like to keep on a USB key or other media, saving as you go if you make changes. This prevents loss of new information if the computer is restarted for any reason.
Please use the one of the campus wireless networks if you need to go online using a laptop computer you connect to one of the podiums.
- Power outlets are under the lid on top of the podium.
Do not use the network ports in this compartment, they are not active.
Click the image for a larger view
- Connect either the HDMI or VGA and Audio cables to the laptop.
- HDMI - allows both video and sound; do not plug in the Audio cable when using HDMI.
- VGA and Audio - plug the VGA cable on the podium into your laptop's VGA port and the Audio cable into its audio port, which is usually marked by an icon resembling a pair of headphones. If the laptop doesn't automatically display after connecting it to the cables and selecting Laptop on the touch panel:
- Windows laptops: on the laptop's keyboard press the blue function key (Fn) in combination with one of the numbered function keys (CRT/LDC) to have it detect the projector. The numbered function key varies by laptop make/model.
- Macintosh laptops: Open System Preferences (from the Apple menu), then select Displays, and then Detect Monitor. Once the projector is detected, the laptop’s screen will project. NOTE: Macs may require an additional DVI to VGA adapter to connect, they are not provided on the podium.
- Use the connected laptop as desired. Volume can be controlled on both the touch panel and your laptop.